REFLECTOR: Flying to Bahamas
KMis178813 at aol.com
KMis178813 at aol.com
Sat Apr 11 20:34:52 CDT 2009
Mitch
Small numbers are fine for Experimental Aircraft in the US but going
international requires 12 inch. I fit them on the winglets a couple times and
once or twice on the Fuselage. My induction air intake is under the right
wing so it makes me nervous to put tape on the Fuselage. A Fuel Servo full
of duct tape looking at a big pond below does not appeal to me!! Not that I
can't swim, but 20 miles is a little much! MYMM is the airport of entry on
Nassau. Nice runway and enough jet traffic to keep the runway clean. Very
nice people including the Customs girl who wanted to be my girlfriend for
the long weekend? My wife didn't take a fancy to that, I don't know why???
Laying by the pool with one of those nice drinks looking at the hotel
makes you think! The hotel is two buildings with a archway between them. I did
not measure how wide the archway was but it looked to me like I am sure
that I would have no problem maybe getting the wings through that opening! Then
I took my afternoon Nap! Let me know if you see the same thing???
I flew to Cayman in the past (not in my Velo) mainly because my
sister-in-law has a condo in the middle of 7-mile beach. Both the Bahamas and
Cayman are very expensive. I am not cheap BUT I found that I could take enough
supply's in the plane for a week including a lot of frozen food and drinks.
As long as it is for your own consumption they do not charge you duty tax
on these items. Makes for a very frugal getaway.
Ken
In a message dated 4/11/2009 11:16:18 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Jmbmitch33 at comcast.net writes:
Been to Cayman many times and that was my initial first pick but due to
Cuba and other "red tape" I elected to make the Bahamas my first "over the
pond" trip. Thansks for the advise. I noticed you said 12" numbers....is
that a requirement to have numbers that big??? or does that just make it
easier?? My numbers are on the outside wingtips....where did you tape 12"
numbers??? on the body by the doors?? Also, what airport in Nassau did you go
to?? Freeport isnt set in stone yet so we're still looking at different
resorts.
Thanks
Mitch
personal email is _jmbmitch33 at comcast.net_ (mailto:jmbmitch33 at comcast.net)
if you dont want to croud up the reflector email group.
----- Original Message -----
From: _KMis178813 at aol.com_ (mailto:KMis178813 at aol.com)
To: _reflector at tvbf.org_ (mailto:reflector at tvbf.org)
Sent: Friday, April 10, 2009 11:13 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Flying to Bahamas
Mitch
I am based out of Vero Beach Fl. and have been to the Bahamas several
times in my Velo. Going to the Islands has never been a problem coming home
is different. I have never been to Freeport so you are looking for other
info there but I have been to Nassau and North Eluthera. The English is
sometimes a little different on the radio just be aware Mon!
I called ahead in Nassau for hangar space and was quoted $65/knight.
Not so bad considering paradise Island (the Premier hot Spot on the Island)
was $450/knight for the family. Ramp tie down was $16. I opted for Hangar at
the end of Summer with all that hot Sun on my Velo. After 4 day of hangar
space the FBO charged me $16 total. I think they were charging others to
see a Velo?? Nothing but NICE People Every where you go!!! Your Experience
may vary?
Getting back to the USA was a lot more difficult with all the
notifications needed ahead of time. It's hard to communicate to anyone from over
there (which by the way IS the best part). I had 12 inch numbers taped on
with duct tape both for the ride there and back, but I took them off while
there so it would not screw up the paint. As far I have seen, as long as the
fat guy at US custom's can see the N number without getting out of his
chair, it's all good. I cleared customs at Fort Pierce and had the kids at
school orientation with their hair still wet from the lazy river? Life does not
get much better!!!
Next trip Cayman. Over fly Cuba?? If something bad happens I'll call for
help!!
Great info at _www.caribbeanflyingadventures.com_
(http://www.caribbeanflyingadventures.com/) Jim can talk you through the whole thing! $29
membership fee comes with 1 $30 Cuban over flight permit each year and all
the maps and information needed for your trip. A Great deal!!
Ken Mishler
In a message dated 4/10/2009 9:41:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Jmbmitch33 at comcast.net writes:
Getting ready to fly to Freeport Grand Bahamas soon, anyone already done
so?? I know several "V" planes reside near the boarders near the coast, if
possiable, I'd like to get some usefull "inside" information other than the
obvious fileing an Int. Flight Plan. Nothing like getting it from people
who already been there, done that, and got a Tshirt!!
Thanks
Mitch
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
____________________________________
Feeling the pinch at the grocery store? _Make dinner for $10 or less_
(http://food.aol.com/frugal-feasts?ncid=emlcntusfood00000001) .
____________________________________
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
**************Feeling the pinch at the grocery store? Make dinner for $10
or less. (http://food.aol.com/frugal-feasts?ncid=emlcntusfood00000001)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20090411/eba94c52/attachment.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list