REFLECTOR: Fuel Filters
nmflyer1 at aol.com
nmflyer1 at aol.com
Mon Apr 6 12:10:34 CDT 2009
I have several fuel filters. I have one of those glass jobs on each line that goes from the tank into the sump. Once I run enough fuel through this thing, those will come out. I also have another filter just before the pumps. This one is cleanable and will stay in.
Kurt
-----Original Message-----
From: aminetech at bluefrog.com
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 11:04 am
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Engine failure causes
--- michalk at awpi.com wrote:
From: Brian Michalk <michalk at awpi.com>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Subject: REFLECTOR: Engine failure causes
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 11:10:59 -0500
I've been going through the possible theories as to why my engine failure occurred.? I didn't want to post rampant speculation, but a week has passed, and I need to bounce some ideas off the collective.
More unlikely theory #4: Water in fuel
Even though I did not check the sump before first flight, the tanks with caps on are very tight, and the plane kept in a hangar.? Again, the high angle from takeoff might have injested the water.? There should be evidence of water in the main tanks if this theory is correct.? The dry fuel return hose begins to rule this scenario out as a candidate.
I believe I had water in my fuel once.? I recieved fuel at a class C airport after I had done my preflight and did not sample the gas after fueling.? At about 300 ft agl the engine cut out and regained power about 3 times in rapid succession.? It's basically the same way a car runs with water in the fuel.? I then reduced climb to 500 ft/min and the engine ran fine.? The control tower must have noticed as they instructed me to maintain a good rate of climb.? At 3000 ft I increased the climb to 1000 ft/min and experienced a few mild hesitations, so I went back to 500 ft/min and proceeded with caution without further incident during my?3 hour flight.? After landing I checked the carburator bowl and found no water.? However avgas in the South is aromatic based and can dissolve 500 ppm of water, so I wasn't too surprised not to find any.
?
More unlikely theory #5: excessive vacuum on vent line
It might be possible that the vent line exiting the plane is in a high vacuum area.? I'll try to simulate with a leaf blower.
?
Not sure this matters.? I have my fuel filter before both fuel pumps and neither pump has?any problem sucking the fuel through the filter.
John
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20090406/569f3c61/attachment.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list