REFLECTOR: Vortex generators
Dennis Martin
dennis.doc at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 09:35:06 CDT 2009
John,
Stalling at sixty knots solo is with only vortelons and fences is great.
Which model Velocity are you flying and what's your empty weight?
Thanks in advance,
Dennis Martin
On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 7:53 AM, <aminetech at bluefrog.com> wrote:
> I have 3 vortelons and one fence (inboard side). My stall speed is 60 kn
> solo. When near gross weight, I approach at 80 kn, especially when on a
> steeper descent, as I will run out of elevator when rounding out and that is
> no fun. Will VGs help here at gross loads?
>
> John
>
> --- mikewatsspg at gmail.com wrote:
>
> From: Michael Watson <mikewatsspg at gmail.com>
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Vortex generators
> Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 19:13:37 -0400
>
>
> I've had VGs on wings and canard for nine years now, I would
> feel very uneasy landing a Velocity without them.
>
> During my first year flying without them, I came over the numbers
> between 80~85 KIAS. That speed gave the feeling of positive control
> of rudder and ailerons. I felt that for safety. that seed was just too
> high.
>
> After installing the VGs, I would have that same feeling between
> 67~72 KIAS. Due to the slower landing speed, the plane stops in
> a shorter distance saving ware and tare on tires and brake pads.
>
> I have had the airspeed down to 63 KIAS at altitude and it did not
> pitch buck. After ten years, I still do not know at what speed it will
> start to pitch buck.
>
>
>
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 1:27 PM, <SlvEgl99 at aol.com> wrote:
>
> Can anyone report on performance changes?
>
> Bob Wood
>
> In a message dated 3/27/2009 12:11:23 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> scott at tnstaafl.net writes:
>
> I think you missed inserting the link. Though I think your refering to
> these?
>
> http://stolspeed.com/
>
> I saw them in the EAA rag. They look like the nicest I've seen and are
> right in the range of all the other options, not including TC VG's
> which are spectacularly outrageous!
>
> I think I'm going to order a set of these as I pulled off my CCI VG's to
> repaint the wings. I was going to glue the old ones back on but these
> are so much more user friendly. My main complaint about CCI's are, they
> are sharp! And can cut your hand, especially when washing the plane.
>
> I need to recount how many are needed for a Std wing & canard,
> though I still have the CCI's attached to the canard. I could just put
> new ones on the wing..
>
> I love um, VG's that is. Shorter take off roll, slower stall speed ,
> faster climb rate, better aileron response at slow speeds, and
> negligible reduction of top end speed.
>
> Scott
>
>
>
> Tom wrote:
> > Below is a link to some pretty nice VGs--they are fairly inexpensive
> > ($97 for 120).
> > Questions:
> > Are they worth doing?? Do you get enough slower speed benefit to
> > offset the ugly factor?
> > Is there a template available for install?
> > thx Tom
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit
> > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> > Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> >
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
> ------------------------------
> Feeling the pinch at the grocery store? Make dinner for $10 or less<http://food.aol.com/frugal-feasts?ncid=emlcntusfood00000001>
> .
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
>
> --
> Mike W.
> 1997 Velocity Elite RG
> Franklin /IVO Electric CS
> Dual GRT EFIS Synthetic Vision
> _______________________________________________ To change your email
> address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector Visit the
> gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose Check new
> archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
--
All the best,
Dennis
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20090403/6ad9e553/attachment-0001.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list