REFLECTOR: Velocity University - October 3-5

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Fri Sep 26 12:01:40 CDT 2008


Bud;

 

There is an alternative.  I certainly wouldn't suggest that it would
comparable to the VU, but I am available to give temporary hands-on help at
your shop.  I did all aspects of the construction and finishing; including
engineering for some mods and custom engine installation on a plane that is
lookin' good; flying great and running great.
http://members.cox.net/alg3/airplane.htm

 

Must be a real challenge trying to keep that schedule working on another
continent.

 

Best of luck,

 

Al  alg3 at cox.net

 

 

 

Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Velocity University - October 3-5

 

Scott,

 

I for one would LOVE to be able to attend this event. I have yet to start on

building my plane; moving from Alabama to Georgia (plane still in the hangar

in Alabama) couple with two new jobs in the past year ( my former airline,

Skybus went Tango Uniform in April and I am now flying in India) prevents me

from attending this event, especially with the late notification (at least

on the Reflector).

 

My work schedule in India is 10 weeks on and 4 weeks off. I have to put in

for my four weeks off at least 1 month ahead of the time I want off...more

if I want to get a reasonably priced ticket back home. It is too late for

this year's Velocity University (I don't get home until 5 Oct), and I know

you can't schedule for one person, but can I please request you put out the

word a whole lot earlier? It might have been on the web-site earlier; I

don't know. But with the changes to the site, access problems people have

been having (I still have problems trying to access the gallery) and my own

access issues from over here (I won't even go into that!), the Reflector

seems to be the best venue, and I only saw the note about V.U within the

past two weeks (I think that is correct).

 

I know planning for this type of thing has to occur well in advance;

announcing a year in advance allows everyone to mark their calendars and

start making their own adjustments in order to make it there.

 

Just a thought. 

 

Hope to make it next year.

 

Bud

 

-----Original Message-----

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On

Behalf Of Scott Baker

Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 9:22 PM

To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list

Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Velocity University - October 3-5

 

Hi Kevin,

The cost of transportation is definately becoming a factor in making travel 

decisions.

Still, there are good prices to be had on air fares - and Orlando is less 

than a 4-hour flight from New England; Chicago; St. Louis; and down through 

Texas.

Everyone at the factory understands and appreciates the $$ costs incurred by

 

everyone to come to Sebastian.  While we want everyone to have a great time 

at VU-2008, this is not an entertainment event.  It's a builders symposium 

that is filled with information that every builder should be familiar.  The 

builder's symposium at Velocity University is about five times the size of 

the program in Dallas.  The Velocity Service Center offers a shop 

environment for the composite and mechanical workshops.  Velocity has 

conservatively invested $10K to organize this event at its home base in 

Sebastian.  The cost to duplicate this effort anywhere else would be 

prohibitive.

Many builders feel that they are doing a wonderful job at putting together 

their aircraft.  Indeed, most are - but some are missing or misunderstanding

 

some of the fundamental elements of how to put an aircraft together safely. 

This program is for the builders, not for Velocity.  I wish I could do a 

better job of communicating  to builders that they owe it to themselves to 

take the time to attend.

Best,

Scott Baker

 

----- Original Message ----- 

From: "Kevin Baker" <flykb at verizon.net>

To: <reflector at tvbf.org>

Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 8:07 PM

Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Velocity University - October 3-5

 

 

> Hi Scott,

> Sounds like a great event.

> Just my 2 c...   The 1st Velocity University was in Dallas. I think

> more folks attended (or signed up) due to the fact that it was

> centrally located in the country and it was easier for folks to get there.

> I would be able to attend if like before, but am unable to get way

> over to Florida for the event   :-(

>

> I know logistically it is much easier in Florida.. .. just me 2

> cents.... and thoughts.

>

> Sorry I will miss it....

>

> Kevin Baker

>

>

> On 9/25/2008 5:53:14 PM, Scott Baker (sbakr at comcast.net) wrote:

> > All,

> >

> > Velocity University begins next Friday, October 3rd in Sebastian, FL.

> > The number of people who have pre-registered is very low. About 30 

> > people

> > have signed up.

> > I'm sure that more are planning to attend - if this is you, please

> call soon to let us know. Please call Art Jones at the factory office

> (772)589-1860.

> > I am not sure why more Velocity have not shown an interest in

> attending what will be a great event. The program has 18-different

> speakers who are looking forward to share their knowledge on

> everything from basic composites to first flight. I am very excited

> to hear words from Peter Diamandis, founder of the X-Prize, speak at

> the Saturday dinner. Granger Whitelaw, founder of the Rocket Racking

> League and chairman of the board for Velocity, Inc will give words of

> welcome and talk about rocket powered Velocity aircraft and the

> Rocket Racing League. Larry Van Pelt will speak on flight testing -

> preparing for first flights and conducting a safe and effective

> Phase-1 flight test program. Tim Casey from Garmin International will

> talk about the new G900X system, now with synthetic vision, for

> Velocity aircraft. Don George (Don George Aircraft) will share

> information about new and overhauled aircraft engines and performance

> options for experimental engines - and more. See

> www.velocityaircraft.com and click

>

> _______________________________________________

> To change your email address, visit 

> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

>

> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery

> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose

> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail

> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 

 

_______________________________________________

To change your email address, visit

http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

 

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery

user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose

Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail

Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

 

_______________________________________________

To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

 

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery

user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose

Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail

Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20080926/b2848fed/attachment-0001.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list