REFLECTOR: Latest on starter problem
tstockmn at aol.com
tstockmn at aol.com
Tue Oct 21 12:25:06 CDT 2008
I also have a skytec with about 600 hrs on it and it has worked as advertised.?? Having said that, it is very sensitive to battery condition and terminal connections.??? I have? found if I spend too much time with the master on and playing with the avionics and MFDs, the voltage will drop low enough that the started won't kick in.???? I have found that if its really cold and the battery is low, you can run the prop through by hand a few turns and it reduces the friction/force just enough to let the starter turn the prop.
-----Original Message-----
From: Terry Miles <terrence_miles at hotmail.com>
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list' <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 8:37 pm
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Latest on starter problem
Lou,
?
I have a Skytec.? I like those guys from a customer standpoint.? They have helped me sort out a couple of issues.? That said, I find my skytec starter very sensitive to any resistance in the circuit.? I have a couple of ring terminals on my batt posts.? If the post bolt is the least bit off of snugged down good, the stater will not crank the eng. ?It has happened to me twice now within the first 75 hours.? ?Once on the neg post and once on the pos.? ?I have the IO 540 w/ normal compression.? The batt bolt and threads look so soft to me, I am afraid of using too much torque on them for fear of stretching the threads.? Anybody else hit up against this?
?
Terry
?
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of steve korney
Sent: Friday, October 10, 2008 1:38 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Latest on starter problem
?
I have had the same situation with Sky Tec... Don't confuse good customer service with bad Quality Control... It is still an inconvenience for the customer....
Best... Steve
From: stedmanlou at roadrunner.com
To: canard-aviators at yahoogroups.com; reflector at tvbf.org
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 16:49:07 -0400
Subject: REFLECTOR: Latest on starter problem
Today we went up to the airport and tried a direct connection to the starter, as I have suspected the starter all along. First we used my Power Sonic with direct connections to the starter, thus eliminating all of the wire and the two solenoids. Results: No difference. We then tried with two batteries? and the results were the same. The voltage at the batteries was 12.8 before cranking, 11.4 when it started cranking but when the prop came to the compression stroke it would stall and voltage dropped to about?6 volts. This told me it was starter. I called Sky Tec and talked to Rich. I told him about our latest test and he, once again said he thought it was battery. Having three new batteries act the same seemed to me that we could rule out battery. Then I said "look I just got this starter back from you when you put on a new housing. I assume that it is checked before you send it back?" ?He said "just a minute let me check the results of the test." He came back in two minutes and said "I am sending you out a new starter today. The test results on the starter showed it to be 33% below the standard for horse power." It should never have been sent back to me in that condition.?He didn't know how it was missed but wanted to correct the situation. THAT IS GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE. So it looks like it was the starter after all.
?
Thanks to all of those who took the time to responded. This group is so great for helping out.
?
Lou Stedman
Velocity N7044Q
Olean, NY
?
Get more out of the Web. Learn 10 hidden secrets of Windows Live. Learn Now
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20081021/fdf10475/attachment.htm
More information about the Reflector
mailing list