REFLECTOR: Engine Cowl

milehitaz milehitaz at aol.com
Wed Oct 15 23:31:45 CDT 2008


Message

Thank you all for the input and help... 
All the best,
Larry

In a message dated 10/15/08 20:26:27 Pacific Daylight Time, amillin at sbcglobal.net writes:
I second Al.  I used 4 plies and feel it was overkill.  My flange does go all the way around the cowl.  I have an XL and Al has a standard.  I'm sure the angles are different.  I also have a slightly different setup as my NACAs continue past the firewall and create a bump (back) in the top of the cowl.

If I were to do it again, I would use 3 plies and sleep well.

Andy
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Al Gietzen
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 10:07 PM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Engine Cowl


Hello all,
I still have some of the great photos you all have sent out that have converted to the "Receiver" style of cowl retention at the firewall.....What I managed to loose is how many layers of Bid were used to make the inner part of this.  Thank you in advance.
Larry Lambert

I used 4 plys of BID – 3 would likely be strong enough.  Check it out before going too far – I found I could only use that approach on the more vertical areas on each side. Because of the angle of the flange over the top area, and the need for the cowl to move back and tip tail end up as it comes off, putting the inner flange all the way around wouldn’t work.   I made a custom cowl which may be slightly different, but check to see if this applies.

Al
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20081015/c1e58a62/attachment-0001.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list