REFLECTOR: Canard Incidence

Douglas Holub douglas.holub at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 18:21:32 CDT 2008


"Has most everyone gone through this or did I just screw up that much drilling out the bushing holes?"

My canard mounting ears were a little short, so the bushing holes had to be close to the top of the bulkhead. And the top of the canard bulkhead was not parallel with the bottom of the canard, so on one end there was only about 1/2" of bulkhead above the bushing. Everyone assured me that it would be plenty strong, even my technical counselor (Mike Pollack.) But I beefed it up, anyway. Added a few plies of triax on both sides of the bulkhead and filled in the gap between the top of the bulkhead and the bottom of the canard with milled glass and epoxy. And then, for good measure, I fabricated two 1.25" wide x 14" long straps of 1/4" thick aluminum with a hole in one end for a canard bolt. I bolted these to the lower canard bulkhead using the 4 bolts used to bolt the rudder pedals to it. I know this was probably excessive, but a little extra weight in the nose doesn't hurt much, and I can sleep well knowing that the canard isn't going anywhere.

Doug Holub
Standard FG
99.5% done, 3% to go
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: milehitaz 
  To: reflector at tvbf.org 
  Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 5:16 PM
  Subject: REFLECTOR: Canard Incidence


  Hello great collective,
  Couple of questions for you all....

  I am working on setting the Canard Incidence on an XL/RG and remember great discussions on how to set. I am going for Zero bubble on my gauge and when I get that I find that my canard sits about 1/8 inch above my canard bulkhead in the bushing holes I have drilled. 

  Scott Swing at Velocity said its not a big deal, the gap can be filled with micro but it's better to grind the bushing holes downward to get the canard sitting on the bulkhead top. Who am I to argue with the Guru's?  Then angle the holes backward and down to get the incidence. Has most everyone gone through this or did I just screw up that much drilling out the bushing holes? I would have rather had Wood on top of my bushings but now I will have a little structural adhesive, then the wood...is this how everyone else has had their canard mounts go? 

  Second....I have a slight twist to my canard on the Right side only...is there one part of the canard that it better to gauge "Average " at?

  Thank you all in advance for your input....

  Larry Lambert
  XL/RG


------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20081015/505187d3/attachment.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list