REFLECTOR: (no subject)

gibbons gibbons at as.net
Thu Oct 2 22:31:00 CDT 2008


Hello
I get full movement up and down on the ground. In flight I can't get
enough up travel.  I did use a shim between spring and elevator tube to
get a little more movement ( advice from velocity) but I still can't get
enough nose down at higher speeds. I made my own canard and elevator as
spec.
Barry

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Al Gietzen
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2008 4:40 PM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: (no subject)



Elevator spring strength. Can you put more ply's on the spring to help
with trimming  the nose down. If so how many ply's? Would that be uni,
bid. Would the plys be on the inside or outside of the springs?

Thanks 
Barry 

Barry;

FWIW; maybe the question is 'why don't you have enough down trim?'  My
criteria on the spring was that you had to be able to get nearly full
elevator when the trim motor was run to the full extent in the opposite
direction.  This being a safety factor in the case where the motor runs
to its limit for unknown reasons.  I now recall two incidents reported
over the recent years where this did occur.

So that meant for me that I had to trim (as in cut) the trim spring
narrower - down to I guess about 2" width on my SE.

When I first began flying, I found that at the high speed end I didn't
have enough nose down trim.  I also found that the stall speed was too
high.  The conclusion was there was too much canard lift; and yeah, I
had used the factory incidence gauge on a WingCo canard - having not
been told that the WingCo canard needed  a bit less incidence. Reducing
the canard incidence by 2 stir stick thickness under the leading edge of
the incidence gauge solved the nose down trim problem, and brought the
stall speed down to about 70 Kts. 

BTW; I think all small dimensions on these kits are measured in stir
stick thicknesses:-).

Best,

Al

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20081002/b3b0bfb5/attachment-0001.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list