REFLECTOR: Wing-root cooler re-visited

John Tvedte johnt at comp-sol.com
Tue Nov 25 19:05:02 CST 2008


I see on the pictures of the scoop bottoms, the openings appear to be similar in size to the scoops.  I would expect these to already be larger than the scoop openings.
________________________________
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Al Gietzen [alventures at cox.net]
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 3:22 PM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Wing-root cooler re-visited

Dennis;

Very nice looking scoops.  Sure looks like they ought to work.
 I did BL profile measurements just in front of the scoop entrance, and was surprised to find it only about ¼” to something very close to free stream.  May have something to do with the gear doors in front stirring things up, or bleeding some off.

Is the opening into the wing larger than the opening at the mouth of the scoop?

Al

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Dennis Martin
Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2008 4:03 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Wing-root cooler re-visited

Hello Al,

Just saying thanks for all the testing you did on the wing root air scoops for your Mazda powered V. Thought I'd show you my new inlet scoops inspired by your testing. They are sculpted out of blue foam and covered with 2 bid. Based on design calculations from Malcolm Collier (Hangar 18) I created a 1/2" boundary layer bleed. The inlets resemble the mouth of a whale shark (14" wide X 2 1/4" height) but I'd rather er on the side of excess given the amount of heat generated on takeoff by a 400 HP Chevy. Took a full week to finish my scoops and I don't have the patience to do this job over again. Hopefully by combining two well ventilated wing root radiators with a heater core (third radiator) in the nose I may now have enough cooling capacity - especially following your lead of scooping the air more aggressively. I'm planning on upholstery in January and test flight as soon as possible thereafter with the hope of beating the summer heat.

All the best,
Dennis
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20081125/860f68fa/attachment-0001.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list