REFLECTOR: Wgt and Bal

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Mon Nov 24 18:24:50 CST 2008


1550 LBS for a standard (short wing) fixed gear sounds
heavy, adding paint will take you way over 1600 lbs.

 

I agree 1550 is a bit on the high side, but it is what it is.  FWIW; I'd say
the paint is not that much of a factor.  Yes; you may spray about 4 gallons,
but some drifts off as overspray, and more than half of what ends up on the
surface is volatile and evaporates.  I put on a two-stage, base and clear
system, 3 coats base and 2 coats clear, and that ends up at about .012
-.014" layer of paint.  Over the area of the plane, that's equivalent to
about 2 gal.- or maybe 20 lbs as a WAG. And distributed as it is, not a
factor on CG.

 

My elite RG, fully painted, upholstered (yeah, maybe 15# of sound deadener)
with 265 hp rotary with coolant and oil came out close to 1500.

 

Al

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20081124/dc6e145d/attachment.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list