REFLECTOR: castor angle.

Lou Stedman stedmanlou at roadrunner.com
Sun Nov 23 18:27:22 CST 2008


John educate me. What is a pivot bolt?

Lou Stedman
Velocity N7044Q
Olean, NY
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: John Dibble 
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
  Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2008 7:44 AM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: castor angle.


  I experienced shimmy at 30 kn while braking.  The shimmy was in the right main.  The problem turned out to be a bent pivot bolt.  You can check for that by loosening the nut and turning the bolt to see if there is a tight and a loose spot.  If there is, a short term fix is to leave the bolt in a tighter position  (check that gear extends properly).  That will make it tighter and eliminate shimmy if that's where it's coming from. 
  John 

  Lou Stedman wrote: 

    Got a question for the group. I have read that castor angle is important to prevent wheel shimmy. I am led to believe that the castor should be level. I have fixed gear. While repairing my main landing struts I had to remove about two inches of length. I now have a very slight wheel shimmy on landing at about 50 kts. while breaking.  I am wondering if this could be caused by a change in the angle of my nose wheel castor. if so how do I change it? Lou Stedman 
    Velocity N7044Q 
    Olean, NY 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Virus Database is out of date.
Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com 
Version: 8.0.175 / Virus Database: 270.8.5/1755 - Release Date: 10/29/2008 5:27 PM



------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


------------------------------------------------------------------------------



  No virus found in this incoming message.
  Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com 
  Version: 8.0.175 / Virus Database: 270.9.9/1807 - Release Date: 11/23/2008 10:59 AM
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20081123/24554cf5/attachment.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list