REFLECTOR: MT Prop failure mode? - Resolved

Terry Miles terrence_miles at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 19 21:22:40 CST 2008


Dave,
Help me out here.  Is there a "fiber lock" nut that is different from what
is called a nyloc nut?  I was told no nyloc in the eng compartment due to
heat break down of the nylon.
Terry

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Bernard Despins
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 4:30 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: MT Prop failure mode? - Resolved

The way I see it, given a certain RPM, MAP is a measure of engine load.  
No prop, no load.

I just can't figure out why a rag in the induction  system would lead to 
high engine RPM.  I can see it causing low MAP, but I would think that 
if the engine is starved for air, it would not be able to develop any 
kind of RPM (it would be like throttling back).

I am definitely going to consider adding some kind of fiber lock nut as 
you suggest.

Thanks again for the help.

Bernard Despins

davedent at comcast.net wrote:
> On my Vesta prop they use one Fiber Lock Nut for the stop.  Being 
> experimental, I don't see any reason why you couldn't use a fiber lock nut

> as well instead of two jam nuts.  Just a thought.  But I haven't had a 
> problem with mine coming loose on either of my MT props.
> I'm glad you found the problem, but I can't see the low MAP at the same 
> time.  See if the MAP comes up with the  greater pitch.
> Dave 
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>   

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list