REFLECTOR: Precautionary landing near St. Louis
Milton Mersky
miltonm at airmail.net
Wed Nov 19 04:28:57 CST 2008
Dave & Ann:
Please use utmost caution when slipping a swept wing aircraft.
When in a slip, the trailing wing gradually looses lift and will fall off
causing some real big problems.
It is sometimes called a dutch roll and will result in a very bad day.
To loose altitude in a Velo, reduce power and pull back on the stick and
watch how quickly you slow up & loose altitude./
Milt
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Philipsen" <velocity at davebiz.com>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 4:23 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Precautionary landing near St. Louis
>I will have to give that a try. Hopefully it won't be during a deadstick
> landing though.
>
>
> Ann DaSilva wrote:
>> For those who need to loose altitude in a hurry... I have a standard
>> fixed
>> gear that's 15 years old and about 1200 hrs on it.
>> When I'm too high and need to get down I just slip it. Have found no
>> adverse
>> behavior and it will descend at 1500 to 2000 FPM. I frequently do it on
>> final to adjust for my goofs... Now for those with long wing 173 they do
>> not like to slip. When you try to slip them they get sloppy and squirm
>> out
>> of the slip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>
>
> --
> Dave Philipsen
> Velocity STD-FG
> N83DP
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list