REFLECTOR: MT Prop TBO
Chuck Jensen
cjensen at dts9000.com
Mon May 26 08:51:45 CDT 2008
Robert,
One data point. In about 2002, all of the props that MT worked on, they required that new seals be installed on the props; at the owners expense, naturally. If the prop was new enough and one squawked enough (they don't call me the Chicken, for nothing), MT either covered it or discounted it by 50% (which was probably after raising the price 75%--just like the Memorial Day Sales).
The reason for this seal replacement was that the original seal design was faulty---though I'll give a hundred dollar bill to anyone that can get MT to admit it. So, if your prop hasn't been worked on since 2002 or so, you may have the original seals that finally started to leak. Mine didn't leak before, or after, the seal changeout, but there were a lot of props that did, apparently. Good luck on it.
Chuck Jensen
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On Behalf Of SlvEgl99 at aol.com
Sent: Saturday, May 24, 2008 3:09 PM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: REFLECTOR: MT Prop TBO
Since I received no responses to an earlier posting, I thought I would follow up.
I have a Velocity XL with an MT constant speed prop. When doing my conditional I discovered a small amount of grease seeping out around one seal. It had not discolored the blade, but had stuck inside the spinner.
In researching MT maintenance, I discovered that the prop has a TBO of 6 years or 1800 hours, whichever is earlier. I also learned that the governor has a TBO of 7 years.
I asked what action anyone else has taken with regard to this.
I received no responses, but have communicated with MT, and they confirm that this is still the TBO. I have scheduled prop removal and will deliver it to them for overhaul, along with the governor. Cost will be around $3,000 and they say about 3 weeks. Lots of money, but want to be safe amd legal.
Robert Wood
N658SE
XL FG
_____
Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with Tyler Florence" on AOL <http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4&?NCID=aolfod00030000000002> Food.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20080526/cdf4a30c/attachment.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list