REFLECTOR: dynafocal engine mount, fit

Andy Millin amillin at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 15 08:38:06 CDT 2008


The mount is conical.  The geometry is specific and will only work one way.

The first try for me was frustrating.  I was sure the guys who made this
didn't quite know what they were doing.

The issue is in the Barry mounts.  Of course they are some type of polymer
and need to be compressed slightly for the whole thing to line up.

The bottom of the mount is "open"  i.e. the two sides are not attached.  We
got the top bolts in, but could only get one of the bottom.  Each new bolt
that went in made it more difficult to put the next in.

We needed to make it spread about 1/8" to open it enough to get the bolt in.
That was what the 2x4 was for; a big lever.

Once the bolts are in and torqued, the geometry was realized.  Nothing to do
but stand back and say "yep, they did know what they were doing."

I like the drift pin/bullet bolt idea.  Another one of those "doh" type
ideas.  :)

Andy

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Al Gietzen
Sent: 05-15-2008 2:30
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: dynafocal engine mount, fit

One used the 2x4 
> to
> pry the mount open and the third slid the bolt in.  I don't know if it is
> the same for the IO-360.  I know I don't want to have to take the thing 
> off
> again.  :)
I know zip about mechanical design but my gut-feeling about the stress in 
the engine mount
joints if it was off enough to have to use a 2x4 to deform it is scary. 

I'd assume it is still within the elastic limit; but  wouldn't the idea be
to drill the holes to fit the mount rather than stress the mount to fit the
holes?

Al

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list