REFLECTOR: Carbon fiber
Ken C. Baker
kenb at velocityaircraft.com
Sat May 10 18:14:56 CDT 2008
Noel,
Try separating a bundle of fibers from the weave, wrap it around your
fingers and try pulling it apart to break it. Compare this to doing the same
thing with e-glass. Carbon will have a noticeably higher tensile strength.
Again, this isn't infallible - it also depends on the number of fibers per
bundle compared to the e-glass you're testing against.
Best,
-Ken
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of gattenby at tulsaconnect.com
Sent: Saturday, May 10, 2008 6:39 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Carbon fiber
The cloth that I got on ebay...
It has the look and feel of what little carbon fiber that
I've used.
It has a brown / yellow thread down one side.
The "carbon" fibers are in flat bundles without twisting.
It wets out fairly easly with expoxy.
I tried holding some threads of it and some threads of
carbon fiber uni (that came with my kit)
in the flame of my zipo...
Neither one burned.
Any other thoughts on telling one from the other?
Noel
On Fri, 09 May 2008 09:19:22 -0500
Brian Michalk <michalk at awpi.com> wrote:
> What about other tests?
> What happens if you put a flame to it? Will that allow
>identification?
> Gasoline or MEK solubility?
>
> If one grinds it up to make a tea, does it have ED
>benefits?
>
> Ken C. Baker wrote:
>> Alex and Noel,
>>
>> I was actually going to mention stiffness too - but a
>>lot of factors come
>> into play there as well. There are some texalium fibers
>>that are even
>> stiffer than a lot of the carbon that I've seen. And
>>I've used a lot of
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives:
>http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list