REFLECTOR: Nose Wheel Steering

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Thu May 8 09:28:43 CDT 2008


Andy wrote:

, but it makes sense that an over inflated tire would contribute to the
problem if the load was only riding on the center of the tread.

It makes sense that a lower pressure provides a bit more damping, which
could reduce the likelihood of shimmy, and reduce its severity.  Velocitys
are generally pretty light at the nose unless you have a couple of heavy
people up front.  I usually keep mine around 25 psi, just enough to keep the
distortion down. 

I had shimmy one time when the drag tension got down to about 10# (measured
at the outer diameter of the wheel). I would call the severity modest -
disconcerting, but no damage.  I try to keep jeep the tension around 14#,
and have never had shimmy at that setting.  I have an SE RG with the stock
bellvile washers that came with the kit back in '97.

And I agree with Chuck about crabbing to compensate for cross wind on
landing.  I don't have a lot of cross wind experience, but I have found when
the main touches it tends to straighten out. Although when that happens I
find it tends to bring the nose down more quickly - or maybe that's just me
being more anxious when there's a cross wind.

Al

 

 

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20080508/f3df5065/attachment.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list