REFLECTOR: Nose Wheel Lock
Chuck Jensen
cjensen at dts9000.com
Wed May 7 19:33:46 CDT 2008
Yea, I wish all of my non-standard landings were in the interest of science...more just a matter of being skill-challenged.
Chuck
I couldn't figure out why the baseball was getting bigger, then it hit me.
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On Behalf Of KMis178813 at aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 7:40 PM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Nose Wheel Lock
Chuck
I would like to thank you for your recommendations and for testing the product. But the fact is that all of that testing was done before you bought the Nose Wheel Lock so please stop beating up your Machine. She does not deserve that, and Do Not try to land nose wheel first for my benefit. That will just be a mess!!!!
Thanks
Ken Mishler
In a message dated 5/7/2008 4:48:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, len.baxter at gm.com writes:
Thanks Chuck..... I'll bank on your experience, add the nose lock and not worry !!!
Len Baxter
XLRG
"Chuck Jensen" <cjensen at dts9000.com>
Sent by: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org
05/07/2008 04:14 PM
Please respond to
Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
To
"Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
cc
Subject
Re: REFLECTOR: Nose Wheel Steering
Not to worry. Landing in a crab in the preferred method, not a slip. As soon as the mains touch, the nose swings right around for alignment before the nose ever touches down, so not an issue. I can't imagine landing nose wheel first. I suppose its possible, but if one did, having a locked nose wheel would be the least of the problems.
One can actually turn off the runway with the nose wheel locked. The angular change isn't much to hit a high speed taxi way and a couple taps of the brakes will do it. A 90L taxi way turn would be a little tougher. During take off roll, aileron and/or brake tap will keep you aligned, even the the pin engaged. It's only when you get slow and on the ramp does it become almost impossible to steer with the pin engaged.
Works very well indeed and there is simply nothing to be concerned about in that regard, since I've explored about every bad landing configuration imaginable and the nose gear pin is "all good."
Chuck Jensen
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On Behalf Of len.baxter at gm.com
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 1:27 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Nose Wheel Steering
Chuck
I worry about what might happen when landing with the nose wheel locked and you touch down in a "crab" and the nose wheel touches first or similtaneously?? Seems like the nose wheel would take the plane towards the runway edge pretty quick. Any thoughts or experence that would either support or discount my worry???
Thanks
Len Baxter
XLRG
"Chuck Jensen" <cjensen at dts9000.com>
Sent by: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org
05/06/2008 08:04 PM
Please respond to
Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
To
"Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
cc
Subject
Re: REFLECTOR: Nose Wheel Steering
John,
A mistake? Are you suggesting that I might make a mistake....of course I have! But the question of what to do is really a two part issue. I now engage the locking pin by pushing in the cable handle as I start may take off role. I used to do it in the air, but I have forgotten it at least twice. Once had no effect because my nose wheel happened to be fairly tight and there was no crosswind so it tracked without shimmy. The other landing without the engaged pin was in a crosswind which immediately started the shimmy as the nose gear touched down at an angle.
At that point, there is only two things to do; go missed and find a grass field or grin-n-bear it. The grass field will not initiate a shimmy (side forces, or absence of, and all those issues) but you'd better be lucky to find somebody with a wrench to tighten it. When the shimmy started, I lifted the nose a couple times but the pin and fixture would never line up. I went around and hoped the gear retract would cause the wheel to realign so the pin would align and engage, no luck. I finally just grinned-n-beared it.
Now I engage the pin is as soon as I get aligned with the runway for TO, check it as I set up for cruise and check it again when I get in a landing configuration. So far, I've never come close to forgetting using that system of redundant reminders.
Chuck Jensen
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of John Dibble
Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 2:32 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Nose Wheel Steering
Chuck, have you departed and forgot to lock it? I'd like to know what happens in that case.
John
Chuck Jensen wrote:
> Tom,
>
> The super-duper nose wheel lock by Ken Mishler is the answer to your problem. Controlled with a push/pull cable in the cabin, a pin slips into a mating surface mounted on the nose gear that prevents the nose gear from swiveling. The pin is disengaged for taxiing and reengaged on the takeoff roll. Not having to worry about shimmy, the tension on the nose wheel can be backed WAY OFF. Taxing is then a pleasure, instead of an annoyance. Highly recommended.
>
> Chuck Jensen
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_____
Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family favorites at AOL <http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?NCID=aolfod00030000000001> Food.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20080507/adb09cb4/attachment.htm
More information about the Reflector
mailing list