REFLECTOR: For sale: Two VDO fuel level gauges
Dave Philipsen
velocity at davebiz.com
Wed May 7 13:14:47 CDT 2008
It was a resistive sender which was probably in use for some seven years
or so. In my opinion the resistive sensors are more prone to failure
because of the moving parts. It's basically a potentiometer that
measures the height of a float in the tank. I now have capacitive
senders which have no moving parts. The only problem I've heard of with
the capacitive senders is that they may show a wrong indication if you
get water in your tank. I've heard that in some cases they may have to
be removed and dried out to get them working again because water could
get trapped in the sensor. So far I'm very satisfied with them. They
are more expensive than the resistive type but probably will last longer.
Dave
gattenby at tulsaconnect.com wrote:
> Dave,
>
> What sensor did you have driving those gauges?
> resistive, capaciative?
> I'm about to order fuel level sensors,
> what are the pro's / con's of each?
>
> Noel
>
>
> On Tue, 06 May 2008 22:13:21 -0500
> Dave Philipsen <velocity at davebiz.com> wrote:
>
>> I have just removed two fully functional VDO fuel level
>> gauges from my
>> Velocity. They were removed today (5-6-08) and I
>> double-checked them on
>> a variable current power supply. They have been
>> replaced by a Dynon
>> FlightDek-D180. They have approx. 250 hours on them and
>> were 100%
>> functional when removed. To see a picture, click on
>> this link:
>> http://www.davebiz.com/gauges.jpg
>>
>> Here is a link to Aircraft Spruce showing the same gauge
>> for $25 each:
>> http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/vdofuellv2.php
>>
>> They are lighted, 12VDC, 2-inch diameter gauges.
>>
>> First offer of $20 gets the pair.
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>>
--
Dave Philipsen
Velocity STD-FG
N83DP
More information about the Reflector
mailing list