REFLECTOR: Brake performance

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Tue May 6 23:14:52 CDT 2008


When I initially filled the fluid in my RG I put the gear about half way up,
and put the fluid in from the bleed nipple at the bottom.  Added fluid until
the reservoirs were 2/3 full.  No further bleeding required. The brakes have
worked fine except for some chatter early on.  Turning the rotors solved
that problem.

 

BTW; a poor-man's tool for back filling fluid is a 1 quart plastic oil (or
other fluid) bottle.  I drilled a hole in the cap and threaded in a nylaflow
fitting that came with the kit.  A length of nylaflow, and a piece of vacuum
line or gas line, and you're set.  Clean the bottle and the DOT 5 fluid.
Connect to the bleeder, hold the bottle upside down, and squeeze. Photo
attached.

 

Jim,obviously this works for RG's as well, but is there an easier process
for RG's?

----- Original Message ----- 

From: Jim Agnew <mailto:jim_agnew_2 at yahoo.com>  

To: Velocity Aircraft <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>  Owners and Builders list 

Sent: Monday, May 05, 2008 6:14 PM

Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Brake performance

 

IT IS ALMOST IMPOSIBLE TO GET ALL OF THE AIR OUT of Matco brakes.

 

See the following for a diagram of the calipers and pay attention to the
position of the blead holes.  On a fixed gear you may have to remove the
caliper assembly and turn it in many directions to rid yourself of air.

 

http://www.tvbf.org/gallery/?dir=subsystems%2Fbrakes%2FMatco%20Caliper%20PH6

 

Jim
 

James F. Agnew
Jim_Agnew_2 at Yahoo.Com
Tampa, FL
Velocity 173 Elite Aircraft Completed & Flying 

 

----- Original Message ----
From: Jerry Teitsma <jerryteits at comcast.net>
To: Reflector <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Monday, May 5, 2008 6:44:39 PM
Subject: REFLECTOR: Brake performance

I am having trouble with air in my brake lines - actually only on one side.
I have bled the brakes multiple times on that one side - from the bottom
until no bubbles occur and the brakes are firm.  It take no time for the
brakes to need pumping again on that side.  I have even bled the brakes,
flew for an hour or so, and had no brakes on that side when I landed.  It
wasn't pretty..

 

Do I have a Master Cylinder problem or a connection problem?  Bubbles are in
the nylaflow lines near the brakes but no fluids are on the floor.  Do I
need to install the new Cleveland assembly to cure this?  Thanks, JT

 

Jerry Teitsma

Granby CO 80446 
970-887-3910 
jerryteits at comcast.net


  _____  


_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20080506/149e8993/attachment-0001.htm 
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Brake bleeder.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 41853 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20080506/149e8993/attachment-0001.jpg 


More information about the Reflector mailing list