REFLECTOR: Oil Breather Nipple Into Exhaust Pipe

Chuck c.harbert1 at verizon.net
Sat May 3 11:27:41 CDT 2008


I've been using the 4-5" diameter one that I believe I got from AS. I mounted it at the top of the firewall, and I have zero oil spray or marks. I drain the oil into the return fitting on the governor pad. The vent line goes out the bottom against the firewall and is cut at a 45 deg (low side fwd). 
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Craig and Denise Woolston 
  To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list' 
  Sent: Friday, April 25, 2008 6:09 AM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Oil Breather Nipple Into Exhaust Pipe


  Hey Chuck-

   

    What separator are you using?  Or did you make it?  We have the $100 can from Spruce and not sure if it's where we mounted in on the firewall but it does a fine job of distributing oil mist inside the cowl.

   

  Craig

   

   


------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Chuck
  Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 12:26 PM
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Oil Breather Nipple Into Exhaust Pipe

   

  Bob, have you considered an air-oil separator? The turbo's will create higher cylinder pressures (temps) and thus more blow-by through the rings. This will send more oil/water vapor out the breather and into the exhaust/atmosphere. Anytime you weld an exhaust pipe, your adding a stress riser which can crack and fail. If you do it, you might want to have it normalized (heat treated) afterwards.

   

  I've had a separator for years and it works well. I'm also finishing my add-on turbo and plan to keep the same system. I get very little oil through the separator discharge tube and my oil analysis has been fine.

   

  Chuck H



------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20080503/c67f6ea1/attachment.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list