REFLECTOR: IO-390

Richard J. Gentil richard at naples-air-center.com
Mon Mar 17 18:59:11 CDT 2008


Grigore,

Contact Scott about the stacks.

Richard

P.S. I will email you directly the pix.

Grigore Rosu wrote:
> Here is some more info on IO-390s, this time from Aero Sport Power:
>  
> "In regards to the IO-360 versus the IO-390.  Most builders go with 
> the IO-390 as it is the same engine as the IO-360 with a bigger bore 
> and more HP.  I have one IO-360 200HP engine that has been here for 
> awhile for the reason you mentioned.  More expensive with less HP."
>  
> They offered me the same price on that 200HP IO-360 as for the IO-390 
> ($32.5k) in case I want to take it, which is about $4k less than the 
> original price of the IO-360!  John was right that Aerosport are very 
> honest: economically speaking, their interest would be to get rid of 
> the IO-360 making 4k profit; yet, they tell me straight that the 
> IO-390 is better.  I like these guys.  However, their price for the 
> IO-390 is slightly higer than Mattituck's ...
>  
> Richard, I would like to see your pictures.  Also, who should I 
> contact at Velocity about the modified stacks?
>  
> Thank you,
> Grigore
>
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 4:41 PM, Richard J. Gentil 
> <richard at naples-air-center.com <mailto:richard at naples-air-center.com>> 
> wrote:
>
>     Grigore,
>
>     I would not let the little extra work make you to change from a
>     360 to a 390, the work is minor.
>
>     Velocity should now have the pattern for the stacks, so they will
>     do that part for you. You will need to see from Mattituck what
>     solutions they have on the throttle body to see if they can have
>     it face aft on the engine, which would be forward on the Velo.
>     Otherwise I can send you a couple of pictures of what I did in
>     order to build my scoop. The only reason I had to build a scoop
>     was where I positioned the engine, I could not get a 3" Skat hose
>     from the Naca to the intake.
>
>     Richard
>
>
>     Grigore Rosu wrote:
>>     Richard,
>>      
>>     Hm, it looks like its installation involves some non-standard
>>     issues, so it would probably be safer for me to go with the more
>>     standard IO-360 ...  Not that I'm affraid of new, but I've spent
>>     so much time building the airframe, that I am very anxious to fly
>>     now ... the more standard the better.
>>      
>>     Thanks alot,
>>     Grigore
>>
>>     On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 3:10 PM, Richard J. Gentil
>>     <richard at naples-air-center.com
>>     <mailto:richard at naples-air-center.com>> wrote:
>>
>>         Grigore,
>>
>>         I have the TMX-390 which was the show piece at Mattituck's
>>         venue at Sun 'n Fun. I did have Velocity custom modify the
>>         intake and exhaust stacks for the engine. There was an
>>         IO-390-X there on the field at the time so they were able to
>>         modify the stacks.
>>
>>         Another issue with the TMX-390 was that I had the intake for
>>         the throttle body facing the prop, which meant that I had to
>>         a scoop modification to the lower cowl.
>>
>>         Richard
>>
>>         Grigore Rosu wrote:
>>>         I asked Mahlon Russell of Teledyne Mattituck (their tech
>>>         expert) about the IO-390 engine that they have for sale (see
>>>         http://www.mattituck.com/, click on Experimental Engines)
>>>         for about $32k.  Here is his answer:
>>>          
>>>         " The IO-390 has the same footprint as the 200 HP
>>>         IO-360-A1B6, except the prop governor mounts on the front
>>>         left half of the crankcase, rather then the rear of the
>>>         accessory housing. If you are considering an angle valve
>>>         Lycoming style engine in the 200HP range, the 390 is really
>>>         the only way to go. As you have already noticed, it is
>>>         significantly less money to acquire and has the additional
>>>         10 HP. I can see no reason the 390 wouldn't work for you, in
>>>         every aspect as compared to a 200HP engine, as long as the
>>>         governor location isn't an issue for your cowling/nacelle
>>>         design.
>>>         "
>>>          
>>>         Any thoughts on this?  Can one just bolt an IO-390 instead
>>>         of the 200HP IO-360?  Can one just use the engine kit
>>>         provided by the Velocity factory, or one needs something else?
>>>          
>>>         Thank you,
>>>         Grigore
>>>         ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>>         _______________________________________________
>>>         To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>
>>>         Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
>>>         user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>>         Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
>>>         Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>>         _______________________________________________
>>         To change your email address, visit
>>         http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>>         Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>         <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
>>         user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>         Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>         <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
>>         Check old archives:
>>         http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>>
>>     ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>>     _______________________________________________
>>     To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>>     Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
>>     user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>     Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
>>     Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>     _______________________________________________
>     To change your email address, visit
>     http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>     Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
>     user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>     Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>     <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
>     Check old archives:
>     http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20080317/9e034bf6/attachment-0001.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list