REFLECTOR: Alternative engines

NMFlyer1 at aol.com NMFlyer1 at aol.com
Sun Mar 16 11:11:45 CDT 2008


Ronnie, 
 
You have it right. I bought Tim England's video also and it was a world of  
help. I ended up using some of his ideas and improving on others. It helped to  
be able to see and hear what he had done. I incorporated a few of the things 
he  said he would have liked to have done as well (such as an aluminum block 
saving  85 pounds, swapping the motor mount "ears" over so things would fit 
better,  using the smaller ring gear, etc. 
 
 
All in all his video probably saved me time and headaches. I also changed  
some things he did that I thought I could do better. I liked his cooling  system 
(since it worked), but thought that I could make a lower drag system and  not 
disrupt the airflow to the prop as much. I ended up making a formula using  
radiator area per horsepower, and trying to get similar numbers. Of course it  
may not work in a different system, but you have to have a starting point.  
The only way I could have incorporated these things was to actually see  what he 
had done. (We all know things are easier the second time). 
 
I was debating making a similar video on my install once it is flying and  
proven. Perhaps it can be of use to other folks contemplating such an adventure. 
 
Update: Gear is aligned finally. Made some removable  shim pads that go 
between the axle and the gear leg. Toe in adjustment is on one  side.. Kick down on 
the other. That way if anything needs adjustment, I can  remove that part, 
adjust as necessary and replace. 
 
Almost finished rebuilding the wheel pants so that they actually fit. Kind  
of tedious, but should be done this week. 
 
4.3L Aluminum block Chevy V-6 is still running fine. Once the gear is done  
and brake lines installed, I'll try to post a web video of it running. I think 
I  will wait to install the prop until the thing is painted (less stuff to 
work  around/bang my head into). 
 
Man this is fun :) 
 
Kurt 




**************It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms, and advice on AOL Money & 
Finance.      (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20080316/b723c493/attachment-0001.htm 
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 9231 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20080316/b723c493/attachment-0001.jpeg 


More information about the Reflector mailing list