REFLECTOR: Weight and Balance

Brett Ferrell reflector at velocityxl.com
Sat Mar 15 08:44:29 CDT 2008


I hear you, brother... we'll let you know... I knew I should have waited
until you and Andy were flying.... it is surprisingly satisfying looking
at the bottom of though!
 ;-)

Brett

Keith Hallsten wrote:
> Brett,
> 
> I can't help much because my XLFG with parallel valve IO-540 and Catto prop
> isn't complete enough to weigh yet.  However, I'm certainly interested in
> hearing the answer!  If I may need to move the battery from the nose to the
> inside of the firewall, it would be good to know that now!
> 
> Keith Hallsten
> Wiring
>  
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of Brett Ferrell
> Sent: Friday, March 14, 2008 3:33 PM
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Weight and Balance
> 
> I would really like to get some example of weight and balances for other
> XL's that have fixed pitch props (I've got a parallel valve 540 with a
> Catto).  I've done my W&B, and although the total weight seems
> reasonable, I'm coming out very nose heavy, and my test pilot (Dave
> Bertram) says his RG can fly with 4-200lbs guys in it (and he flys with
> 40 lbs of ballast in the nose solo)....  My nose weight is over 100 lbs
> when empty, and my empty arm is in the the flight box, and apparently
> the empty arm should be well aft of the flight envelope.
> 
> Brett


More information about the Reflector mailing list