REFLECTOR: Alternative engines

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Fri Mar 14 11:04:45 CDT 2008


> Someone will come back and say the old VW was one that was used and
> successful.  I'm afraid not.  By the time they got in the planes and

Thats not really true. There are many designs that fly with VW engines and
 they perform well and live long. The cost to bring them up to aircraft
standards is not all that much, $2K-$3K dollars.  Most of the development
was done by the racers..  There is a small two seater at GNT that has a VW
engine in it, no significant problems in 600 hours...

> Also I was told by Falcon Insurance that you can't get insurance if you
> have
> an auto engine in your plane.

I don't know about that, I do know a few people flying with auto
conversions with insurance, but don't know who they use.  Many times its
all dependent on the agent and if they will do the work to get you insured
or just want a standard issue policy that requires no effort on their
part.

Scott





More information about the Reflector mailing list