REFLECTOR: Alternative engines
Al Gietzen
ALVentures at cox.net
Thu Mar 13 18:42:23 CDT 2008
Proportionately speaking, I see a lot of Velo builders opting for
engines other than Lycoming/Continental/Franklin. Has anyone tried to
figure out what the success rate is on the outside the box engines?
There is not enough data to draw any conclusions yet. AFAIK; most of the
alternative engines are still in building phase.
Do you have to reinvent the wheel on the installs?
It takes some ingenuity and some engineering - but then so does building the
airframe. Most installations involve some new features and different
configurations as there is no published standard; and each person doing this
as their own ideas on the "best" way.
Are there reliability issues?
Yep; just as there are with the Lyc or Franklin - and likely a few more,
generally involving the installation features rather than the engine. High
on my list of reasons for choosing to go with the rotary is the potential
for higher reliability. The engine itself is very simple and very robust.
How hard to work out the bugs (cooling, fit, gear reduction, etc)?
There is no one answer for that. I didn't find it "hard" (well, some things
were) but I did find it challenging. Frankly, I would not have attempted it
were it not for my engineering background, and backyard mechanic skills.
Are any cost or efficiency savings promised actually realized
I have a compact, smooth running, 265 hp engine that is giving me good
performance and fuel economy. The all-up installation cost me a bit over 20
Grand. How much would a freshly overhauled IO-540 cost you? I can do all
the service and repair and inspections, and parts are available at the auto
parts store or the Mazda dealer for prices far less than certified engine
parts. If I should be so lucky as to be able to fly it to a need for
overhaul, it will likely cost me a few hundred dollars.
and worth it?
That depends entirely on you.
Al
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20080313/cf6cf7b7/attachment-0001.htm
More information about the Reflector
mailing list