REFLECTOR: what kind of foam

doug.holub at tx.rr.com doug.holub at tx.rr.com
Fri Mar 7 08:48:51 CST 2008


Thanks for the advice everyone. FYI, Scott wrote me to say that the factory uses PVC foam in the strakes. I was relieved to hear that, because my strakes are already completed, and that's what I used!

Doug Holub
---- Jeff Clough <jclough48 at comcast.net> wrote: 
> Careful using water!!! I had a leak that I used water to detect, but the 
> water came out all under the backseat floorboards....I had to drill a 
> LOT of holes and apply vacuum to get it all out......I felt that in 
> freezing weather water would cause severe delamination if any was left 
> behind (I was living in Alaska at the time)
> ~ jc ~
> 
> Craig and Denise Woolston wrote:
> > Doug-
> >
> >   I know from firsthand experience how frustrating fuel leaks are.  We had
> > one strake that was fine and another that took us four months to fix and
> > this was after we were flying.  Our fuel leak came out of the hole in the
> > fuselage where the gear fixed gear leg passes through.  We scratch our head
> > for days as to how it could travel a foot from the fuel tank.  In the end it
> > was the hole for the fittings that are drilled through the fuselage wall.
> > The threads cut through the glass allowed fuel to enter into the layers of
> > glass of the fuselage skin, then migrate down and out.  We could not locate
> > this source until we cut a hole in the top of the strake, filled the strake
> > with water and using a air gun, blew air back into tank and looked for
> > bubbles. 
> >
> >
> > Craig
> > N541SW
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> >
> >   
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list