REFLECTOR: Brake Lines

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Thu Jun 19 20:30:14 CDT 2008


Kurt;

 

You could consider tossing/returning the Nylaflow, and taking another
approach. I used 3/16" 6061 aluminum from the masters through the wiring
duct to the gear bulkhead on the retract version - then to 3/16" Teflon
braided SS for a flex bend (needed for the retract) and glassed to the leg
down to the caliper.  Where it is glassed to the leg I put heat shrink
around the tubing to allow some give for the flexing of the leg.

 

I made a radiation heat baffle from thin SS to shield the leg from the brake
rotor.  This can be seen in the attached photo of the caliper.  It mounts
between the axle flange and leg and extends up between the leg and rotor.
I've made hard stops to the point of brake fade and have no issues with leg
deformation.

 

Best,

 

Al

 

 

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of NMFlyer1 at aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 2:20 PM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: REFLECTOR: Brake Lines

 

Need some input:  The original brake "Nylaflow" that came with my kit isn't
quite long enough for the 173 FGE.  So, I bought some new stuff. They are
the same OD, but not the same ID. The NEW stiff is thinner wall and is too
big for the compression inserts that came with the kit. 

 

The Original part:  S&L Plastics Nylaflow Pressure Tubing Type 3/16"H SK8201

 

The New Stuff:  S&L Nylaflow Pressure Tubing Type 3/16"T SK8201

 

I am guessing the "H" is Heavy Wall, and the "T" is thin wall. 

 

The inserts from the factory fit the heavy wall tubing  (that is too short
for the airplane). 

 

The thin wall stuff is what the Wicks and Spruce Catalogs say is used for
brake lines. Spruce doesn't have an insert listed that I could find, Wicks
has one that says "3/16" part number 2030x4" 

 

What kind of Nylaflow is being used? If it is the thin wall stuff, what is
the part number for the insert?

 

I either need to order new (correct) nylaflow, or new (correct) fittings.
any input? 

 

Another screeching stop due to incorrect parts. 

 

Thanks   Kurt 

 

 





  _____  

Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for fuel-efficient used cars
<http://autos.aol.com/used?ncid=aolaut00050000000007> .

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20080619/fdc25154/attachment-0001.htm 
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Caliper and heat shield.JPG
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 35641 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20080619/fdc25154/attachment-0001.jpeg 


More information about the Reflector mailing list