REFLECTOR: Main gear leg problems

Dave Philipsen velocity at davebiz.com
Thu Jun 19 18:10:11 CDT 2008


Yeah, only problem is that the factory tells me that the booties are 
technically made for the RG although some have modified them to fit on 
the FG.  A complete new fiberglass ger leg (bow) costs about the same as 
a pair of booties.  In addition to all of that, I will have to pay a 
$400 premium because I have not "registered" with the factory as the new 
owner (bought it 2 yrs. ago from the builder).


Lou Stedman wrote:
> I am here to tell you that it is not pleasant when this situation causes the 
> leg to fracture on landing. Mine did and by the time I replaced the prop and 
> removed the engine for inspection, I have spent well over $5000. If you want 
> my two cents, it is buy the booties and fix it now. When the leg heats up 
> enough to bend, the epoxy that was in the heated area will wick down, 
> leaving dry fiberglass. That is exactly what happened to me. You know the 
> old saying, "you can pay me now or pay me later" pay it now and save 
> yourself a lot of time and money.
>
> Lou Stedman
> Velocity N7044Q
> Olean, NY
> ----- Original Message ----- 
> From: "Dave Philipsen" <velocity at davebiz.com>
> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 12:56 PM
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Main gear leg problems
>
>
>   
>> Recently I noticed that at least one of my wheels (haven't looked
>> closely at the other one yet) is cambered out slightly at the bottom.  I
>> believe this is due to excessive heat from the brakes causing the gear
>> leg to soften a bit.  From the heat and the weight of the airplane the
>> gear leg has splayed out slightly at the bottom. I'm not so sure that
>> grinding off part of the axle mating surface on the leg will help that
>> much because I believe that the bolt holes are angled.
>>
>> I have an idea and I just thought I'd throw it out to the group to see
>> what kind of response I get.  What if I were to take the wheel off,
>> remove the axle shaft and re-mount it on the opposite side of the gear
>> leg (pointing inward)?  Then I would allow the full weight of the
>> airplane to rest on the axle shaft which would rest on a block of wood
>> on the floor.  Perhaps I could use a heat gun to heat the bottom of the
>> gear leg and allow it to bend back in the right direction.
>>
>> Is this feasible or would it be more work than it's worth?  I suppose
>> the other alternative would be to buy some aluminum feet as I have heard
>> the factory sells these.
>>
>> -- 
>> Dave Philipsen
>> Velocity STD-FG
>> N83DP
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit 
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>     
>
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
>
> No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG.
> Version: 8.0.100 / Virus Database: 270.4.0/1509 - Release Date: 6/19/2008 
> 8:00 AM
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>   

-- 
Dave Philipsen
Velocity STD-FG
N83DP



More information about the Reflector mailing list