REFLECTOR: FW: Aileron torque tube bearing

Lawrence J. Epstein, MD ljepstein at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 3 10:44:17 CDT 2008


John Leder had initially offered to sell these, but I have been unable
to contact him (I haven't tried in a long while).  Do you know how to
reach him?

 

Larry Epstein

 

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of John Tvedte
Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 11:23 AM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: REFLECTOR: FW: Aileron torque tube bearing

 

Al,

 

Personally I think these bearings are of general poor quality.

 

General Bearing part#: 32264-88-302 - and as far as I know, are used
throughout the control system.

 

I have not sourced a better quality product at this time, but am working
on it.  We are looking at Timken.

 

I have a couple retired engr's from Rockwell helping me - they didn't
really like the tolerance of the bell crank to inner race either, and
thought a capture spacer should be added on the inboard side when the
bell crank is inserted.  They also suggest complete encapsulation of the
outer flange - could be as simple as an aluminum ring.

 

I'm not sure of a timeline on my research - I'll get back to you with
results.  Also attached are some encapsulation rings, designed by John
Leder.

 

John

  _____  

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf
Of Al Gietzen [ALVentures at cox.net]
Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 10:35 AM
To: reflector
Subject: REFLECTOR: Aileron torque tube bearing

I find that one of the aileron torque tube bearings at the bellcrank in
the engine compartment has failed. It now has about 1/16" play, and
slack in the controls is not a good thing. This seems a bit peculiar to
me as the normal motion is slow and limited, and the normal loads
minimal.  

 

Is this a unique occurrence, or have others had this happen?  The
underlying question is vibrational loads; lateral or torsional, that may
have some resonance - like in that 4-5 ft length of unsupported torque
tube.

 

Al

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20080603/9a42c32c/attachment-0001.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list