REFLECTOR: Understanding limitations: Fuel

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Mon Jun 2 19:52:37 CDT 2008


Terry,

I think it only prudent to refrain from aerobatics when you've got less 
than 5 gallons per side !  :-)

Laughing aside, if or when I get myself in a low fuel situation,(been 
that & done there) , I would insist in a straight in, if insisting 
doesn't work, I would  make very shallow coordinated turns in the pattern.

Scott

Terry Miles wrote:
> Keith,
> Thanks.  I have the FAR numbers for fuel.  I hope I have about as much
> common sense as the next guy.  I too should have been more precise.  My
> question really intended to address itself to what you or other Velo
> operators have come to use (or intend to use) as "be on the ground" fuel
> remaining figure very specific to this airplane.  Not to pilot rules or POH
> limitations.  I should have left that out.  
>
> When you shine flashlight into a big flat strake with only a couple of
> gallons remaining it causes me to question what of the physics of tank
> baffling and maneuvering flight add to the dynamics of a low fuel state.  
>
> In the very back corner of my strakes, at Malcolm Collier's suggestion, we
> ran another fuel out line out to the sump.  I would presume all the fuel is
> capable of draining into the sump tank when in level unaccelerated flight,
> put what about maneuvering in a RH holding pattern with 3/4 inch of fuel,
> and having the right wing outlets being uncovered?   
>
> I thought I'd raise the issue just to see what others have bumped up against
> this either in theory or in practice.  It wasn't meant to be directed at you
> or your post specifically.
>
> Don't take this to mean I intend to construct some rigid set of numbers.
> Take it to mean I have an interest in the Velo fuel system, and I believe a
> comprehensive understanding of our particular set up and what to expect of
> it is better method than tankering fuel to compensate for the unexamined.  I
> know you didn't intend that.  I'll muddle along.   
>
> The sump in the RG is about half that of the FG as I recall.
>
> Terry 
> Back in flight test (with a new improved gear warning!)
>  
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of Keith Hallsten
> Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2008 10:51 PM
> To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: fuel tank placards
>
> Terry,
>
> Naturally you cannot include in your flight planning any strake capacity
> that won't actually drain to the sump.  That is physically "unusable".  
>
> The question of how much "usable" fuel you want to have on board at landing
> at a minimum is a separate question, and is spoken to by both the FARs and
> common sense.  Velocity aircraft generally have enough fuel capacity that it
> isn't too hard to plan to have a reasonable and comfortable reserve.
>
> In my original post I should more precisely have said, ". . . only consider
> the USABLE capacity of the strake tanks in the capacity labeling".
>
> Keith
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of Terry Miles
> Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2008 6:25 PM
> To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: fuel tank placards
>
> Keith,
> For POH reasons and with the assumption that real life xc fuel planning
> follows what you put in the POH.  Are you considering that all the fuel in
> the main tanks is usable?  I am inclined to say I am at dry tanks with 5
> gals in each wing, but I be happy to see what others use for "usuable"  or
> said another way what is the min fuel you want to see on landing at your
> alternate.
> Thanks for the input,
> Terry
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of Keith Hallsten
> Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2008 6:47 PM
> To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: fuel tank placards
>
> Doug,
>
> It's your call, but I would consider all of the sump to be either "unusable"
> or "emergency reserve" and only consider the capacity of the strake tanks in
> the capacity labeling.
>
> Keith Hallsten
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of doug.holub at tx.rr.com
> Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2008 2:30 PM
> To: reflector at tvbf.org
> Subject: REFLECTOR: fuel tank placards, Torx head screws
>
> My left and right fuel tanks hold 25.5 gallons each. My sump holds 5
> gallons, but 2 gallons at the bottom of the sump are not reachable. Do I
> placard my fuel tanks for 25.5 gallons plus half of the usable sump? Or half
> of the whole sump? Or just the tanks?
>
> I saw an ad in one of the magazines a few months ago for Torx head stainless
> steel 100 degree flat head screws. I bought some and they work just great.
> I've been taking the cowl off and on a lot the past few months, and they
> never strip out. I've got a Torx head for a small electric screwdriver. 
>
> www.microfaseners.com
>
> They don't call them Torx, they call them "6 Lobe Drive". You'll find them
> under "Socket Screws".
>
> Doug Holub, sprinting to the finish line
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>   

-- 

-
    As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all must be most aware of change in the air however slight lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness.

    William O. Douglas, Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court 




More information about the Reflector mailing list