REFLECTOR: Vesta Prop

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Sun Jul 27 20:11:41 CDT 2008


Dave;

 

It would be interesting to try a CS prop with the 265 hp on my SE RG.  I'm
sure it would have shortened the takeoff roll I recently experienced in
Longmont, CO on a 90+ day with full fuel and a front seat passenger.

I have assumed it would not make much difference on the top speed, but you
don't know until you try it.

 

My MT prop came in with the governor at 77lbs.  The Vesta is around 69lbs.
The Catto fixed pitch thee blade was in there around 30lbs.

 

Wow, I didn't realize the Y was so heavy. With the quote I got from them
about 5 years ago, the weight was given as 51 lbs.  Unless I made a mistake,
my Catto 66 x 80 3-blade FP weighs only 16.5 lbs (without spinner).  Maybe
I'll double check that next time it's due for a re-torque.

 

Al

 

 

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of davedent at comcast.net
Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2008 3:43 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Vesta Prop

 

The one thing you must consider.  Constant speed or fixed pitch.  I have
used them both on my XL.  I find that the CS is best.  Yes Catto's fixed
pitch is good and if I had the fixed gear or a 200hp engine on the smaller
Velo I would go the Catto fixed. But as far as the get up and go and then go
fast then I would go with the CS.  The weight issue plays into the as you
know. 

 

For me, if I was flying the smaller Velos I would not use a CS prop at all.
Unless I was having to fly out of a major high altitude airport as a
routine.  It's not worth the cost or the problems that come with a CS prop. 

 

Remember the blades I had repaired by Catto were MT's CS prop blades.  

I did fly the Catto fixed pitch prop for a short while as well. That now is
being used on a XL fixed gear. 

 

  Haven't got the spinner all in there yet.

. 

Dave

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20080727/22f489f3/attachment-0001.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list