REFLECTOR: recog light 2

Alex Balic velocity_pilot at verizon.net
Tue Jul 22 09:20:22 CDT 2008


HI Vance- I have something similar on my Velocity- not 1m candle power
though- (I might look to upgrade)- it is (2) 55 watt units- have wig wag
flasher connected so it can be either both on or wigwag- they throw a lot of
light and with the flasher on pretty visible. Not sure if the photo will
post, but it is the same idea that you have installed....

Alex

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Vance Atkinson
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 8:29 AM
To: Velocity group
Subject: REFLECTOR: recog light 2

About 15 years ago I decided I was tired of airliners running me down, 
so I made a recognition light that I leave on around busy terminal 
areas.  But where to put it?  Rutan had told me not to cut into the wing 
for any reason..  So I put it in the strake area.  This has worked out 
fairly well except for the light shining on the elevators.  At night 
there is some scatter back from the R/H elevator.  I have dihedral in my 
canard so the main light beam just barely clears it. 

The arraignment has worked so well I have taken the belly light out and 
sealed it up permanently.  It works very well as a landing light and 
so-so as a taxi light, I set the aiming for level flt.  This is a 
million candle power halogen  bulb I got out of JC  Whitneys catalog 
where it was used as a hand held spotlight.  I made the lens from some 
clear plastic using the piece I had cut out as a mold, very easy to do.

  Heres a picture, and the little fence on the inboard side is so the 
passenger isent annoyed with the light shining in their peripheral 
vision all the time.

vance atkinson
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: recog light low res.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 62928 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20080722/c5925a79/attachment-0001.jpg 


More information about the Reflector mailing list