REFLECTOR: Armpit scoop cooling problems

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Sat Jul 19 05:46:48 CDT 2008


Dave,

The APRS is an excellent idea.  Some on the RV list have been doing this and seems to work very well.  FlightAwares is fine as long as a person is filed and flying IFR, but there's no tracking for VFR.  I'd intended to install a system but getting around to getting the ham license was what had slowed me up. Where does one take a ham test? Keep us posted on how things go and share whatever details you can.

Chuck Jensen


-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Dave Philipsen
Sent: Saturday, July 19, 2008 1:39 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: REFLECTOR: Armpit scoop cooling problems


I just wanted to thank everyone for their responses on the armpit scoop 
cooling problem.  I talked to Jim Agnew today (who has the same armpit 
scoops as me) and got some ideas as well.  I will be trying these out 
and hopefully reporting back with some progress.

On another subject, I just received a MicroTrak 8000FA in the mail 
yesterday from www.byonics.com.  I've been thinking about implementing 
an APRS system in my plane for a long time and I was spurred on by an 
article entitled "Found From Space" in the August Kitplanes magazine.  
The online documentation is a little sketchy but I got it wired up for 
testing in my car today and I'm very happy with it.  Position reports 
and my track were readily available on the internet and now I'm ready to 
wire it into the plane.  It should work even better in the plane than it 
does on the ground.  If anyone is interested in this technology where 
someone can track your flight on the internet (very close to real time) 
for free, don't hesitate to go out and get your ham license.  If you 
passed your pilot's written exam, then you can pass the ham test too.  I 
brought the study book home from the library and studied for one evening 
and aced the test the next morning.

The APRS technology will report your plane's position, altitude, speed, 
and direction of flight to anyone who has access to the internet and the 
technology even supports sending very short messages.  If you do happen 
to buy this particular unit and have any questions, I might be able to 
help you since I've already gone through the learning curve on it.  
Total cost to implement in my plane is approx. $200.  You do have to 
have a GPS unit with serial output.


-- 
Dave Philipsen
Velocity STD-FG
N83DP

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list