REFLECTOR: Engine cooling NACA scoops
Brent Bourgeois
bjb3013 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 17 09:27:36 CDT 2008
Dave,
I vote for more oil cooler.
These engines with piston nozzles transfer alot of heat to the oil. Check your baffles in the dark with a light under, seal all leaks cracks with silicone. I have done a lot of pressure studies on the inlets, cowl(top/bottom) and oil cooler. I have 2 coolers, the front is for an IO540 with another smaller one with its owns cool air inlet on the back baffle. I am in the process of making my armpit scoops smaller for less drag. I have the same engine you have and run 320 on the under probes and 360 on the top plug probes. Never seen over 425 on the top even under the worst case. I have spent a lot of time on this and might be able to help.
Where are you?
Call if you need,
Brent
N61VB
Std REG
IO-360
985-785-8299
--- On Wed, 7/16/08, Dave Philipsen <velocity at davebiz.com> wrote:
> From: Dave Philipsen <velocity at davebiz.com>
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Engine cooling NACA scoops
> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Date: Wednesday, July 16, 2008, 7:16 PM
> I have been struggling with marginal cooling on my STD FG
> equipped with
> armpit scoops. The only way I can keep cool enough during
> cruise is to
> fly above 6000 feet and run LOP. I have been somewhat
> successful at
> bringing the temps down by repairing/reworking the baffling
> and seals as
> well as doing a little rework on the scoops themselves but
> I'm still not
> happy with it. I'm seriously thinking about
> retrofitting it with the
> overhead NACA vents and downdraft cooling. My question
> is: Does
> anyone have templates that I could borrow/acquire so I
> don't have to
> guess about the size and positioning? Also, should I
> expect to see a
> small improvement in cruise speed with the NACAs after
> removing the
> armpit scoops?
>
> --
> Dave Philipsen
> Velocity STD-FG
> IO-360
> N83DP
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list