REFLECTOR: Engine cooling NACA scoops

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Wed Jul 16 21:25:02 CDT 2008


Dave,

I had an IO360 in a STD RG that had bad temp problems when I bought it.

Things I did to fix it.

1.)  smoothed the inside of the oil duct by filling with micro and sanding.
2.) installed turning vanes in oil duct ahead of cooler.
3.) plugged every hole in baffling larger than 1/16 inch,  being anal is 
the key here.
4.) Went from 4-into1 exhaust to 2-into-1 on each side that exited the 
cowling straight back(not sure if this made any difference)
5.) Installed a Lightspeed Ignition which allowed me to run LOP.

After all these changes, the last two not initially done for heat 
problems,  my high CHT was 360,  summer oil temps 195

On very hot days I had to step climb, in the spring, fall,winter I 
couldn't over heat it. IN the summer I had to run LOP and manage my 
climb rates. 

Scott

Dave Philipsen wrote:
> I have been struggling with marginal cooling on my STD FG equipped with 
> armpit scoops.  The only way I can keep cool enough during cruise is to 
> fly above 6000 feet and run LOP.  I have been somewhat successful at 
> bringing the temps down by repairing/reworking the baffling and seals as 
> well as doing a little rework on the scoops themselves but I'm still not 
> happy with it.  I'm seriously thinking about retrofitting it with the 
> overhead NACA  vents and downdraft cooling.  My question is:  Does 
> anyone have templates that I could borrow/acquire so I don't have to 
> guess about the size and positioning?  Also, should I expect to see a 
> small improvement in cruise speed with the NACAs after removing the 
> armpit scoops?
>
>   

-- 

-
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law," because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

    Thomas Jefferson 



More information about the Reflector mailing list