REFLECTOR: fun flying
mb
mbuc310 at cox.net
Tue Jul 15 10:44:32 CDT 2008
Al, your trip is exactly the reason I am building my V. Nice photos!
Matt Bucko
----- Original Message -----
From: Al Gietzen
To: reflector
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:19 AM
Subject: REFLECTOR: fun flying
I just returned on Friday from trip of about 2500 nm, including visits in Salt Lake City, North Dakota, and Boulder, CO. Plane worked great, engine ran fine - even at density altitude of 16,500 over the Rockies west of Denver. Typical cruise of 165 KTAS, and 9.5 ghp. (I like my 20B rotary). Had good weather all the way.
I learned that the standard Koch chart for runway requirement isn't a bit conservative for my airplane. Taking off from Boulder (4000 ft) with density altitude near 8000 ft and full fuel didn't leave much excess runway.
Photo 1 - Air Center of Salt Lake at Muni #2 (U42) were very friendly, helpful and accommodating. Spotless hangar where they put my plane with a jet and twin turbo. (the plane was very happy there).
Photo 2 - Crossing the divide around Rollins Pass. I peaked at about 13,800 MSL, but density altitude was 16,400. I was surprised to note that I was still climbing at 160 KTAS and 500 fpm and still had throttle to go. It occurred to me that the regs give O2 requirements based on indicated MSL, when density altitude must be more representative of O2 content. (Of course I wasn't above 12,500 more than a few minutes).
Photo 3 - (sent separately due to message size restriction) speaking of EFIS; I've been very happy with my twin GRT screens. They have reliable, functional; and the customer service great. The right screen shows the map with terrain when flying relatively low around Boulder area. All that red terrain is higher than I was.
BTW; I tried contacting Flight Watch on 122.0 three or 4 times on the trip, and never got a response. It is just me?
Just sharing some of the things you do AFTER you finish building.
Al (SE 20B RG)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20080715/e521666d/attachment-0001.htm
More information about the Reflector
mailing list