REFLECTOR: fun flying
Al Gietzen
ALVentures at cox.net
Tue Jul 15 10:19:34 CDT 2008
I just returned on Friday from trip of about 2500 nm, including visits in
Salt Lake City, North Dakota, and Boulder, CO. Plane worked great, engine
ran fine - even at density altitude of 16,500 over the Rockies west of
Denver. Typical cruise of 165 KTAS, and 9.5 ghp. (I like my 20B rotary).
Had good weather all the way.
I learned that the standard Koch chart for runway requirement isn't a bit
conservative for my airplane. Taking off from Boulder (4000 ft) with
density altitude near 8000 ft and full fuel didn't leave much excess runway.
Photo 1 - Air Center of Salt Lake at Muni #2 (U42) were very friendly,
helpful and accommodating. Spotless hangar where they put my plane with a
jet and twin turbo. (the plane was very happy there).
Photo 2 - Crossing the divide around Rollins Pass. I peaked at about 13,800
MSL, but density altitude was 16,400. I was surprised to note that I was
still climbing at 160 KTAS and 500 fpm and still had throttle to go. It
occurred to me that the regs give O2 requirements based on indicated MSL,
when density altitude must be more representative of O2 content. (Of course
I wasn't above 12,500 more than a few minutes).
Photo 3 - (sent separately due to message size restriction) speaking of
EFIS; I've been very happy with my twin GRT screens. They have reliable,
functional; and the customer service great. The right screen shows the map
with terrain when flying relatively low around Boulder area. All that red
terrain is higher than I was.
BTW; I tried contacting Flight Watch on 122.0 three or 4 times on the trip,
and never got a response. It is just me?
Just sharing some of the things you do AFTER you finish building.
Al (SE 20B RG)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20080715/cbace929/attachment-0001.htm
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: In good company.JPG
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 41862 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20080715/cbace929/attachment-0002.jpeg
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Crossing the divide.JPG
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 73920 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20080715/cbace929/attachment-0003.jpeg
More information about the Reflector
mailing list