REFLECTOR: EFIS

davedent at comcast.net davedent at comcast.net
Sat Jul 12 01:11:09 CDT 2008


Keith I have been flying both GRT and the Advance systems.  They both have 
something to offer.  But I would say, I have had less trouble with GRT. The 
biggest problem I have had with the Advance is that the set up has some 
problems and the start up and the shut down takes a long time.  I like the 
HITS that GRT offers and some of the approach options.  Advance don't have 
HITS.  I have been flying the double screen set up with the Advance in a 2+2 
Sportsman and everything worked great till the engine temps starting to go 
away right when I needed them.  They came through with a new monitor right 
away but I had a lot of talking on the cell in the plane setting it all up. 
Ran into problems like keys that are required to operate certain displays, 
like the AoA and the mapping.  You have to pay extra for these options. 
While with GRT it comes with the whole package.
The screens on both are great and the new GRT big HD screen is even better 
and fits in better.  It also has the virtual terrain option.  Nice but do 
you really need it?  I don't think so unless I was flying in the mountains a 
lot.  With our planes we don't do much low level flying so why buy it? Just 
a thought.
I still have a problem with the AoA key today with Advance. I spent at least 
two hours on the phone with their tech guy trying to get the key to work. 
We just lost it when we put the new engine monitor.  I got a new input to 
try out tomorrow.
Another thought; GRT is based on Microsoft.  Advance Systems uses their own 
operating system.  This I know for sure.  So for those that don't like MS a 
word for the wise.  But it still works and GRT may have the Bata out of it. 
So it may work just fine for a good ten years or so.
Dave 



More information about the Reflector mailing list