REFLECTOR: Lycoming break in oil

Gary Stull gstull at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Jul 8 15:26:39 CDT 2008


I was advised to use this oil for a break in oil on my 172 with a Lycoming 
O320. It worked well. As an A&P I'm a bit cynical about these break in 
procedures and oils. You don't do this with your car, so why should an 
airplane engine be any different? Same materials inside. Anyway it worked 
fine, but I feel ANY oil will work for break in
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Andrew Ellzey" <ajlz72756 at yahoo.com>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 11:11 AM
Subject: REFLECTOR: Lycoming break in oil


I am considering using Phillips 66 X/C 20W-50 engine oil 
http://www.phillips66aviation.com/AvLubricants/XC_20W-50.htm for my IO-540 0 
SMOH engine. Phillips also makes a type M 20W-50 break in oil 
http://www.phillips66aviation.com/AvLubricants/Type_M_20W-50.htm. The 
Phillips 66 X/C 20W-50 literature makes the following claims, X/C 20W-50 is 
the first approved multiviscosity aviation oil for opposed piston engines. 
It provides better engine performance than any single grade oil in all 
weather conditions. X/C 20W-50 is formulated with an ashless dispersant 
package allowing for cleaner engine operation. (((X/C 20W-50 is recommended 
for break-in))). It provides a cleaner and quicker break-in than traditional 
all mineral single grade oils. Plus, X/C is an operational oil so there is 
no need to switch oils after break-in. X/C 20W-50 utilizes all petroleum 
base oils which provide excellent solvency and is successful in preventing 
lead and lead salts.

The Phillips 66 M 20W-50 makes these claims, Type M is generally recommended 
and used as a break-in oil for newly overhauled aircraft engines. Type M is 
generally used by engine overhaul and repair shops for the initial run-in of 
aircraft piston engines. Type M 20W-50 is designed for owners and pilots who 
want the performance of a multi-viscosity, mineral based piston engine 
aviation oil without dispersant additives. Type M contains the same high 
quality base oils and viscosity index improvers found in renowned X/C 
aviation oils.

The only difference that I see is that the M doesn't contain the dispersant 
additives. Has anyone on the reflector used either of these oils for your 
break in oil and what were your results? I like the fact that with the X/C 
20W-50 I won't need to use two types of oils after the break in.

Andy Ellzey
XLRG

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit 
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 



More information about the Reflector mailing list