REFLECTOR: Accident/Incident

JOHN LUNNING jlunning at msn.com
Mon Jan 28 22:43:28 CST 2008


Most don't know me and I just got back on to Reflector, but yes the second flight of my plane didn't go as well as the 1st. Note one-Do not buy a Crossflow Engine. The short story is after a good takeoff and initial climb, the engine gave out at about 400 feet. I turned to the first field that caught my eye and committed to it. I kept my airspeed right and touch down was smooth. My only problem was a couple fences between touch down and being stopped. Fortunately, the Velocity is a pretty tough plane. I experience several leading edge impacts from fence post, but nothing that can't be repaired. There was no structural damage that I have found yet. 2 hours after the landing I had the plane back in its stall. At this time I have no ideal why the engine quit. I'll be looking into that this weekend. Needless to say, I won't have a 3rd flight until I have a reliable engine. 
 
If anyone is interested, I can now give some valuable input on how to best deal with a power loss after departure.
John Lunning


From: sbakr at comcast.netTo: reflector at tvbf.orgDate: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 18:22:43 -0500Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Accident/Incident



What bad news!  I have not heard from John - but he recently sent an email and photos of his completed project - and was so happy to have finally finished building and now flying.  John had a Crossflow Subaru (300hp??) engine.  He had a devil of a time getting everything straight with Crossflow - and at one time was considering abandoning the Subaru engine for something else.  I know nothing about the incident.  I had hoped to talk with John about his experiences with the Crossflow - because Crossflow has a terrible reputation for delivering products that do not work; backed by poor customer service.  If the forced landing is because of the engine, I'm sure John will have stories to tell.
SB
 

----- Original Message ----- 
From: steve korney 
To: Reflector Reflector 
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2008 1:08 PM
Subject: REFLECTOR: Accident/Incident
Anyone know anything about these.....?**********************************************************************************   Report created 1/28/2008   Record 4                                     **********************************************************************************IDENTIFICATION  Regis#: 44VL        Make/Model: EXP       Description: VELOCITY 173/FG-XL   Date: 01/28/2008     Time: 0050  Event Type: Incident   Highest Injury: None     Mid Air: N    Missing: N  Damage: MinorLOCATION  City: NEW BRAUNFELS   State: TX   Country: USDESCRIPTION  AIRCRAFT LOST POWER ON TAKE-OFF, LANDED IN A FIELD, NEW BRAUNFELS, TXINJURY DATA      Total Fatal:   0                 # Crew:   1     Fat:   0     Ser:   0     Min:   0     Unk:                     # Pass:   0     Fat:   0     Ser:   0     Min:   0     Unk:                     # Grnd:         Fat:   0     Ser:   0     Min:   0     Unk:    WEATHER: 272351Z 12007KT 10SM CLR 18/07 A3017OTHER DATA  FAA FSDO: SAN ANTONIO, TX  (SW17)               Entry date: 01/28/2008 N-number                       : N44VLAircraft Serial Number         : 3FX003Aircraft Manufacturer          : LUNNING JOHN R         Model                 : 173/FG-XLAircraft Year                  :     Owner Name                     : LUNNING JOHN ROwner Address                  : 15431 RIVER BND                                 SAN ANTONIO, TX, 78247-2918Type of Owner                  : IndividualRegistration Date              : 21-Dec-2005Airworthiness Certificate Type : Not Specified**********************************************************************************   Report created 1/28/2008   Record 5                                      **********************************************************************************IDENTIFICATION  Regis#: 77VX        Make/Model: EXP       Description: VELOCITY 173RG ELITE  Date: 01/27/2008     Time: 2138  Event Type: Incident   Highest Injury: None     Mid Air: N    Missing: N  Damage: UnknownLOCATION  City: SANTA FE   State: NM   Country: USDESCRIPTION  AIRCRAFT CRASHED ON DEPARTURE FROM RUNWAY20, SANTA FE, NMINJURY DATA      Total Fatal:   0                 # Crew:   1     Fat:   0     Ser:   0     Min:   0     Unk:                     # Pass:   0     Fat:   0     Ser:   0     Min:   0     Unk:                     # Grnd:         Fat:   0     Ser:   0     Min:   0     Unk:    WEATHER: 272141Z 00000KT 10SM CLR 08/M08 A3012OTHER DATA  FAA FSDO: ALBUQUERQUE, NM  (SW01)               Entry date: 01/28/2008 N-number                       : N77VXAircraft Serial Number         : 3RE-423Aircraft Manufacturer          : MOYA ADELINO         Model                 : VELOCITY 173RG ELITEEngine   Manufacturer          : SUBARU         Model                 : ALL MDLS A/BAircraft Year                  : 2003Owner Name                     : MOYA ADELINOOwner Address                  : 5619 MARIOLA PL NE                                 ALBUQUERQUE, NM, 87111-8332Type of Owner                  : IndividualRegistration Date              : 14-Jul-2003Airworthiness Certificate Type : ExperimentalApproved Operations            : Amateur BuiltBest... Steve

Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging. You IM, we give. Learn more. 



_______________________________________________To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflectorVisit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/galleryuser:pw = tvbf:jamaicangooseCheck new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermailCheck old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_________________________________________________________________
Shed those extra pounds with MSN and The Biggest Loser!
http://biggestloser.msn.com/
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20080128/d7ca7a5a/attachment.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list