REFLECTOR: Jeffco or not?
Grigore Rosu
grigore.rosu at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 20:41:40 CST 2008
Thank you, Ken.
I guess now I'm a bit confused regarding how and where these fuel site
gauges are being installed. Do you, or anybody else, have a picture
available?
Are you talking about Atkinson fuel site gauges? I think that's what Ken
mentioned ...
Grigore
On Jan 28, 2008 8:02 PM, Greg Poole <greg at pooledresources.com.au> wrote:
> Now there's yet another good idea! I too will now take out the lower
> skin of the lwr strake. Tell me if you'd bother with electronic gauges
> again given your favour to the sight tubes?
>
>
>
> Thanks Ken! ……will be in touch shortly to obtain one of your nose-wheel
> locking devices if you still have available.
>
>
>
> Best,
>
>
>
> Greg
>
> greg at pooledresources.com.au
>
>
>
>
>
> *From:* reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] *On
> Behalf Of *KMis178813 at aol.com
> *Sent:* Tuesday, 29 January 2008 12:08
> *To:* reflector at tvbf.org
> *Subject:* Re: REFLECTOR: Jeffco or not?
>
>
>
> Grigore
>
> The fuel site gages, that Velocity sells, are very nice. I use them
> more than the electronic gage. Turning your head to see real fuel is a lot
> more reassuring than a blip on a screen that says your OK. I like to take
> the upper skin of the lower strake out where you are installing the gauge.
> This lets you move the gauge as far down as possible, to see the last of
> your fuel. It really does not matter how full you are, just how empty!!
>
>
>
> Ken
>
>
>
> In a message dated 1/28/2008 7:44:52 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> grigore.rosu at gmail.com writes:
>
> I have already ordered both the Jeffco (3 gal) and the fuel gauge kit
> from Velocity. Is there anything else I need before I start working on the
> fuel tank? Ken Baker suggested a "side gauge kit" as potentially useful,
> because it allows you to always turn your head and see how much fuel you
> have left. Any idea about that? Is it worth considering, or it just makes
> the installation of the fuel tanks more difficult and prone to leaking?
>
>
>
> Many anticipated thanks,
>
> Grigore
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> On Jan 28, 2008 5:56 PM, Alex Balic <velocity_pilot at verizon.net> wrote:
>
> 1) I would recommend the Jeffco for a couple of reasons- first – it
> is specifically designed to be a fuel sealer and is more resistant to
> alcohol content than the epoxy (future concerns?) also- the opaque grey
> color makes it a very simple matter to locate any pin holes (they appear
> black against the light grey epoxy) while you are constructing. You will not
> want to try to fine them after your tanks are sealed. Since I have an auto
> conversion, I built the entire tank using jeffco since I will almost
> certainly be burning fuel containing methanol at some point.
>
> 2) I tested my tanks using a cheap kid's party balloon- you just
> install the inflated balloon to the vent of the tank you are testing, and
> see if it is still inflated a day later. It also keeps some positive
> pressure on the tank if you need to do a soap bubble leak test.
>
> 3) I would not try to install any of the strake skins without the
> wings attached- learned this from personal experience- as well as the
> experience of a couple of other builders- don't use the factory alignment
> templates either- just hang the wings and keep them there until the strakes
> are done unless you are ready to apply a lot of filler to make the leading
> edge of the strake match the leading edge of the wing.
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> *From:* reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] *On
> Behalf Of *Grigore Rosu
> *Sent:* Monday, January 28, 2008 12:34 AM
>
>
> *To:* Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
>
> *Subject:* REFLECTOR: Jeffco or not?
>
>
>
> I'm about to install the bulkheads in my first strake and therefore I'll
> soon need to worry about the fuel tank.
>
>
>
> 1) Should I use Jeffco or not? The manual sounds as if Jeffco is optional
> ... If I should use it, where can I get it from? (I can do a random search
> on the internet, but perhaps there are some better avenues that you may have
> encountered so far).
>
>
>
> 2) Do I need an altimeter to test the fuel tank? I have none, but the
> messages I could find in the reflector archive on this subject mention an
> altimeter. BTW, can I test each tank in isolation, or they need to be both
> installed first and checked together?
>
>
>
> 3) Should I finish the first strake (including installing the upper
> strake) and then move to the other one, or it is better to also install the
> lower strake on the other side and its bulkheads, then do both tanks at the
> same time, and then install both upper strakes at the same time? Note that
> I can only install one wing at a time in my garage. The flow-chart that
> came with my manual says that the wing can be removed once the lower strake
> is installed ... I'm a bit reluctant to do so though, because I'm affraid
> the torsion generated by the spar may be too big without the upper strake.
>
>
>
> Thank you,
>
> Grigore
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape<http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489>in the new year.
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20080128/8977e299/attachment-0001.htm
More information about the Reflector
mailing list