REFLECTOR: On focus

Terry Miles terrence_miles at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 26 07:25:21 CST 2008


Dear All,

 

I have some disappointing news to pass along.  After a good ride around the
local area yesterday, I made a nice VFR approach, everything looked fine
until the rollout.or should I say the slide out.

 

When I first entered pilot school back I the 60's they cautioned us over and
over to think of it that ALL PILOTS fall into two groups regards ever
forgetting the gear.  The groups are:    "Them what have" and  "Them what
will."  

 

With no small amount of chagrin and disbelief I have now moved from the
latter to the former.  I just forgot.  Simple and at the same time as
unbelieveable as that is, it is what happened.  Yes I have the piezo (sp?)
horn hooked up to the idle stop on the throttle.  

 

The prop was an ACI and it shreaded.  I was at idle so I am hoping the
engine crank survived the sudden stop.  Inspections will tell on that.
Lycoming IO-540 300 hp.   Damage to the hull is limited to the belly.  At
the worst I am into the foam core on the belly.   The wings are fine.  The
lower winglets are damaged; one a little more worse than the other.  

 

She is back in the hangar.  For the archives, the fire department came out
with inflatable/deflatable air bags about 2 feet on a side.  Using these
bags and 4x4 posts and plywood and wedges and after two iterations of this,
we were able to raise the aft end enough to come around and with 3 guys
raised the nose by hand sufficiently to get the nose gear locked down.  Then
with a forklife lifting at the prop hub, we lifted the last foot or so
needed in the rear to get the mains overcenter.    

 

I am fine.  Heartsick, but fine.  

 

Terry

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20080126/6bae3d51/attachment-0001.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list