REFLECTOR: pasty hardener

Jack Prock jackprock at comcast.net
Fri Jan 25 19:53:29 CST 2008


When I got my kit, (not from Velocity), the hardener had been sitting in a garage
for about six months. It had clumped up and turned to sludge. I was also
told to warm it up. 

I got a very large pot and filled it about a quarter full of water. Then I placed 
a small metal bowl upside down in the pot to keep the resin jug off the bottom.
I then placed a jug full of resin in the water and turned on the heat. Using
a meat thermometer, I raised the temp of the water to about 125. Within about
15 minutes, the chunks disappeared, and it became very viscous. That was
18 months ago and it has worked great ever since. It passes the scratch
test every time. I also keep all hardener and the epoxy pump in a hot box 
set at about 100 degrees. 

Jack
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Dennis Lennox 
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
  Sent: Friday, January 25, 2008 1:28 PM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: pasty hardener


  Resin is very clear and white.  Hardener is pretty dark.  I'll try heating to 110F.  Thanks for the help!


  ----- Original Message ----
  From: Mike Dawson <medawson250 at yahoo.com>
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
  Sent: Friday, January 25, 2008 2:39:51 PM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: pasty hardener

  Verify this is your hardener or the resin? If it's the
  resin just heat it up to 110F and it will be fine!
  If it's your hardener, has it turned dark? It may just
  be getting old. You can try heating it up to 110F +
  and see what happens!
  Mike
  --- Dennis Lennox <lostpilot3 at yahoo.com> wrote:

  > I've been working on my velocity project for only a
  > short time.  Lots to learn.  My problem is that the
  > epoxy hardener has changed to a pasty gritty
  > condition.  Is it unusable in this condition?  Is
  > there anything that I can do to resolve this
  > condition?  I store my epoxy in a cabinet with a
  > light bulb on all the time.  The temperature can
  > swing between 65 and 75 degrees.
  > 
  > 
  >      
  >
  ____________________________________________________________________________________
  > Looking for last minute shopping deals?  
  > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. 
  http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping>
  _______________________________________________
  > To change your email address, visit
  > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
  > 
  > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  > Check old archives:
  http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



        ____________________________________________________________________________________
  Be a better friend, newshound, and 
  know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.  Try it now.   http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ 

  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html





------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage. 


------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20080125/69bae411/attachment-0001.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list