REFLECTOR: Rudder cable attch point--fixed

Ron Brown romott at roadrunner.com
Sun Jan 20 18:03:54 CST 2008


I used the AN111 but also installed a small sleeve in the control arm, loose enough to turn and long enough that a screw and lock nut will tighten down on the bushing and sleeve so that the cable can swivel with respect to the control arm.  May not keep the cable from looping back, but it does prevent the cable from bending as the rudder is actuated.

Ronnie
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Terry Miles 
  To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list' 
  Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2008 2:16 PM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Rudder cable attch point--fixed


  Thanks to all who had an input.  Here was my problem and here's the solution.  Earlier models just used routine cable clamps to attach to the rudder horn.  This was improved to using an AN111 cable bushings (look in Spruce).  My problem (and apparently I wasn't the only one), was that even with the AN 111bushing, my cable could flip back on itself and jam the rudder panel itself into about a 30% deployment and no manipulation from the cockpit could correct this.  It happened on displacing the rudder panels by hand during preflights, and it happened once on the ramp w/ gusty winds and no control locks in place.

   

  The cable itself had distorted some right out of the swedge (sp?) (the cable clamp)(See pic #1) which only made the tendency to do the backflip even more frequent.  The fix was very easy.  See pic #2.  I removed the horn from the bottom side of the rudder and I drilled a hole in the horn and inserted a zip tie that was inserted like a hypotenuse to the right angle that was the cable and the horn plate.  The zip tie limits travel to 90 degress and still allows normal cable ops, but prevents the cable from flipping back on itself.  Any color zip tie will do, I recommend "pain in the butt purple."    (Oh and yes I trimmed off the tail.)  

   

  I hope this helps some one.  Also, I had used some thread lock on those original horn #10/32 attach screws since they go in heads down and I was worried about them vibrating loose.  If there is another lesson learned here, it is that never consider any part to be a "permanent" install.  

   

  Again thanks to all who provided guidance.

   

  Terry

   


------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Ron Brown
  Sent: Friday, January 18, 2008 8:19 AM
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Rudder cable attch point

   

  These work pretty good.  I swiped the idea from a Long EZ I saw at a fly in.  I made these using strips aluminum drilled with holes just smaller than the plastic tubing.  I don't park my plane outside a lot, but I have used these in windy conditions and they seem to hold real well.  For safety, they should have some red ribbon or something to attract attention while doing the preflight walk around.

   

  Ronnie  

    ----- Original Message ----- 

    From: Joe Ewen 

    To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 

    Sent: Friday, January 18, 2008 6:55 AM

    Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Rudder cable attch point

     

    Are rudder gust locks available from the factory?  Has anyone made a rudder gust lock that they would like to share.

     

    Thanks,

    Joe

     

      ----- Original Message ----- 

      From: Scott Baker 

      To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 

      Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2008 7:44 PM

      Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Rudder cable attch point

       

      Terry,

       

      What you describe is a common situation and one that has important safety ramifications!

      I recommend that you install the AN111 cable bushing, which allows the rudder cable<>rudder horn connection to swivel, rather than bend.

      The use of the AN111 cable bushing attachment does not guarantee the rudder cable will not loop around the rudder horn, but it helps.

       

      Important warning: Immediately prior to takeoff _always_ visually confirm that both rudders are in their trailing position; and not deployed due to the rudder cable looping itself over the rudder horn.  If a rudder cable is wrapped around the rudder horn, it is virtually impossible to 'undo' the situation to bring the rudder back to its normal trailing position during flight.  If un-noticed and uncorrected, the aircraft will perform an uncommanded turn towards the side of the deployed rudder.  Aileron counteraction alone will probably not overcome the uncommanded turn caused by the rudder.  The best way to regain directional control is to deploy the other rudder (so now both rudders are deployed at the same time).  This causes drag, but at least the aircraft is now controllable with ailerons.

       

      To those who have not experienced  a rudder cable looping itself over the rudder horn - it happens most often when the aircraft is parked pointing downwind without rudder gust locks.

      It can also happen during taxi operations or (for aircraft with the new toe brake assembly) during runup if the rear of the aircraft is exposed to strong winds.  If the wind is strong enought, it will overcome the rudder return spring - deploy the rudder - sometimes causing the slack rudder cable to wrap itself around the rudder horn.

       

      SB

       

       

        ----- Original Message ----- 

        From: Terry Miles 

        To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list' 

        Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2008 4:46 PM

        Subject: REFLECTOR: Rudder cable attch point

         

        XL-5

         

        When I preflight my rudder, the rudder cable end flips over on it self at the bell crank and then won't retract the control surface all the way back because it's bent back on itself.  A tap with an inserted long screwdriver is all that is needed to get it to rotate back the way it should. 

         

         I checked w/ the factory.  Solutions are replace what I have w/ an AN111 cable bushing.  They also said some have fixed this with a strategically placed zip tie or the like to prevent this.  Even a gust of wind on the ramp can do this to me.  I cannot see in there good enough to say more yet until I pull the rudder off, but I thought I would check in advance.

         

        Anybody have any experience with this?  

         

        Regards,

        Terry


------------------------------------------------------------------------

        _______________________________________________
        To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

        Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
        user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
        Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
        Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


--------------------------------------------------------------------------

      _______________________________________________
      To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

      Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
      user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
      Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
      Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


----------------------------------------------------------------------------

    _______________________________________________
    To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

    Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
    user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
    Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
    Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20080120/fb4059e0/attachment-0001.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list