REFLECTOR: Blue Mountain Avionics issue update

Alex Balic velocity_pilot at verizon.net
Wed Jan 9 21:44:16 CST 2008


Thanks for that input Richard- I think that the G3 units have only the 2
ports as well, but at least the G4has the hope of being upgradeable and
doing some of what they promised the G3 would do...  I will let everyone
know how things are going with this mess as it progresses..  :-)

 

Alex

 

  _____  

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Richard J. Gentil
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 9:33 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Blue Mountain Avionics issue update

 

Hey Alex,

As an owner of a G4 Dual Screen EFIS/ONE and a G4 EFIS/Lite Plus which I
have just about completed wiring, I thought I would go through the "Bells &
Whistles" you mentioned.

The BMA brochure shows many great things you can do with the G4, but as we
all know, the brochure and real life hardly ever meet.

The biggest restriction you will find with the digital (RS232) ports. You
only get two of them along with one analog port. So when you look at all the
wonderful things you could connect, you are limited to three things.

The Engine Pod, which comes standard with the EFIS/ONE, must use one of the
Digital Ports. So now you are down to one Digital Port, which would be taken
by the SL30 Nav/Com. If you put the SL30 on the Analog Port, you would have
to control the OBS on the SL30 face plate itself and not be able to use the
OBS on the EFIS's HSI. To me, the analog hookup of the SL30 is a no go since
it is so impractical. 

If you want to connect XM NEXRAD it needs a Digital Port. So now you have to
drop either the Engine Pod or the SL30. My solution was to make my system
redundancy an EFIS/Lite Plus which let me move the Engine Pod to the
EFIS/Lite Plus and free up a port for the NEXRAD on the EFIS/ONE.

I just want to make sure that you understand the limitations in the G4 as
you go through this.

And believe me, I know how you must feel, I keep getting pushed back on
their deliveries. I have been on the top of the list for months for their
70amp Power Board and their XM solution. When you can reach Shelia, she has
not been in the office much lately, the standard answer is "7 to 14 days you
will have it." It gets very old month after month after month, etc.

I wish you the best of luck, and I hope you get the outcome which will make
you happy.

Richard

P.S. For anything wondering why BMA does not just add more ports, the answer
is, they would have to up the CPU horsepower to run their EFIS to handle the
additional computing power needed to handle the data from additional ports.

Alex Balic wrote: 

I have obtained the services of an Attorney here in Dallas that will be
pressing our case with BMA- I have the list of all who are/were interested
in getting what they paid for from Greg and company, and I have been
requested to compile a more or less official list with name, address,
contact phone, purchase date, serial number of the unit, and price paid for
the equipment. This process will begin with a demand letter, and progress
from there- I am confident that the Attorney- who's business is 50% aviation
related will be able to do the job- please contact me off list at
velocity_pilot at verizon.net   The direction at this point is to get us ( best
case)  a direct trade of our "old technology" for the current, G4 unit which
seems to have the bells and whistles that we have already paid for, worst
case- full refund on our gold box units towards purchase of the  G4. I
believe this will cause the least amount of stress on everyone including
BMA.

 

Alex

 





  _____  



 
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
 
Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
 





  _____  



 
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition. 
Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.13/1209 - Release Date: 1/4/2008
12:05 PM
  
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20080109/9a6110be/attachment.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list