REFLECTOR: priming "how to"?

Alex Balic velocity_pilot at verizon.net
Mon Jan 7 09:16:57 CST 2008


I used the smooth prime method- I did make the wings though, so there was
more work involved- but I liked 2 things about it- first- did not require a
spray gun/overspray mess/clean up mess- and using by the roller, I could
force the material into all of the pin holes- which were obvious during
application- it is also water based so cleanup from my hands was simple,
sticks like crazy of you don't get it off before it dries, and sands down to
a very good smooth finish- just as the Awlgrip does- also- since you are
just burning cheap foam rollers to apply, you can mix up just enough to coat
what you want to coat.

 

  _____  

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Ron Brown
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2008 8:23 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: priming "how to"?

 

Sorry, yes you will need the Awlgrip reducer too since it is compatible with
the paint and converter.  A quart of that will be needed too.  You can use
it to clean up your spray gun, etc after shooting.  

 

Ron

----- Original Message ----- 

From: Grigore <mailto:grigore.rosu at gmail.com>  Rosu 

To: Velocity Aircraft <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>  Owners and Builders list 

Sent: Monday, January 07, 2008 9:06 AM

Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: priming "how to"?

 

I also have fast built (wings, canard, fuselage),  so probably 1 quart of
each is what I need.  Did you also use their reducer (T0006) for spraying,
or you used something else?

 

Thank you,

Grigore

On Jan 7, 2008 8:00 AM, Ron Brown <romott at roadrunner.com> wrote:

I don't know the difference between the 01 and 02.  I used the 3001.  A
quart which will wind up being two quarts after mixing with the converter
should be plenty unless you are building your own wings.  If you are
building your own wings, then you'll probably need another quart.  I had
fast build wings - perhaps someone else can give a better number for how
much primer is needed.  

 

Ronnie 

----- Original Message ----- 

From: Grigore Rosu <mailto:grigore.rosu at gmail.com>  

To: Velocity <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>  Aircraft Owners and Builders list 

Sent: Monday, January 07, 2008 8:44 AM

Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: priming "how to"?

 

Thank you Ron and Al, based on your answers I did some investigation on the
web.  I'm affraid I cannot buy the primer from our local shops here in the
small Urbana/Champaign (mid Illinois), so I'll have to order it online.
There appear to be some options outhere, just to confuse me :) 

 

Option 1

 

Awlgrip 545 Epoxy Primer White Base awlD8001GL

   mixed 1:1 with

Awlgrip Converter for 545 Epoxy Primer awlD3001GL

 

and

 

Option 2

 

Awlgrip 545 Epoxy Primer White Base awlD8002GL

   mixed 1:1 with

Awlgrip Converter for 545 Epoxy Primer awlD3002GL


The difference between the two is "001" versus "002".

 

In both cases, it is recommended to reduce the mixture up to 25% with

 

Awlgrip Std. Spraying Reducer for Epoxy Primers awlT0006GL.

 

I'm assuming we spray this primier.  Brushing it comes with a different
reducer.

 

Am I on the right track?  Is this what you are using, too?  Which one should
I order, the "001" or the "002"?

Also, these appear to be rather expensive ... Apparently they can all be
bought in either quarters or gallons.  Can you estimate like how much of
each I will need for my airplane (Velocity SEFG, fast built)?

 

Many thanks again,

Grigore

 


 

On Jan 7, 2008 12:00 AM, Al Gietzen <ALVentures at cox.net> wrote:

Can anybody help me suggesting some place where this process of priming, as
we need it for Velocity, is explained?  Is it necessary to protect the work
underneath, or it is being used just for aesthetical reasons during the
building process?  Does it add any unnecessary weight? 

 

Thank you,

Grigore

Grigorie;

 

Just adding a bit to what Ron has said; we use a primer coat for a number of
reasons. It does provide protection of the surface by sealing, and contains
a UV blocker; it acts as a 'filler' to help smooth the surface; and provides
for good adherence of the top coat final finish.  The parts come from
Velocity (at least mine did) with a coat of the US Paint 545 Awl-grip that
Ron mentioned, so it made sense to use that again.  There are other expoxy
primers that you can use.  

 

These primers are 'sandable', and you will need to sand to about a 400 grit
finish before putting on a top coat.  However; it is good to leave unsanded
until you are ready for final paint because once you sand off the gloss
surface it is more likely to absorb contaminants (like oil and finger
prints) that are diffictult to clean up.  You are likely to find that for a
first coat over fiberglass you may want to first use a 'high build' primer
to fill pinholes and surface imperfections.  You can use either a good
urethane or expoxy primer for this coat. Most of this will get sanded off
before applying the final coat of expoxy primer. 

 

Follow mixing, thinning and application instructions from the manufacturer
of the primer or finish coats that you use. 

 

Good luck,

 

Al

 

 


_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery 
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

 


  _____  


_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail 
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector 

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

 


  _____  


_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20080107/0aeadb94/attachment-0001.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list