REFLECTOR: Altimeter v. Airspeed
Ron Brown
romott at roadrunner.com
Sun Jan 6 13:20:48 CST 2008
Tom and Chuck,
My cabin static is very close to the static port that I have - and that
static works very well according to high speed passes down the runway. I
have my static port under the right door. A small 1/16" hole with no dams
or other mods.
I have not checked for cabin static changes with the vents open vs closed.
My cabin exhausts through reverse scoops on the lower bolt holes on the
outer edge of the strakes. (My main gear pivots are pretty much sealed.) I
don't get any ear popping when the vents are opened or closed.
Ronnie
----- Original Message -----
From: "Chuck Jensen" <cjensen at dts9000.com>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 06, 2008 10:02 AM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Altimeter v. Airspeed
> Tom, I don't have inleakage. Mine is so tight that I don't let people
> smoke because the cabin would fill up with smoke and I wouldn't be able to
> see. :-).
>
> In all seriousness, the only way there can be inleakage (and I have
> plenty, but less then I used to) is if there is outleakage, otherwise my
> Velo would be known as a P-Velo. Given the relatively small amount of
> inleakage and ample pathways for exit, namely the gear leg area on an RG
> (assuming this is a net negative pressure area), it would take a pretty
> big inrush to pressurize the cabin to any noticeable degree. Certainly,
> if the whole fuselage created a low/high pressure area, then the cabin
> static pressure could be influenced.
>
> Ron's idea of the low altitude, high speed pass, would confirm the
> altimeter indication which currently agree with the GPS altitude (even
> though those are not always exactly coincident). I can't imagine TYS
> tower would have any objections to a 200 kt pass down the runway with a
> near vertical pull up to bleed off airspeed to stay in the pattern. :-)
> :-)
>
> Chuck Jensen
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
> Behalf Of Tom
> Sent: Sunday, January 06, 2008 9:29 AM
> To: reflector at tvbf.org
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Altimeter v. Airspeed
>
>
> Chuck, I'd be worried that with the substantial leakage into the cabin
> that Velocitys tend to have, that the internal cabin pressure would be
> somewhat higher than ambient. Tom
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: 041406_21342.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 32763 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20080106/9d1830c6/attachment-0001.jpg
More information about the Reflector
mailing list