REFLECTOR: Velocity heater
Alex Balic
velocity_pilot at verizon.net
Fri Jan 4 09:01:10 CST 2008
I have a similar installation to Rich- I used a blower from a Toyota corolla
(salvage yard $15) the advantage is that it is already set up for several
speeds (I am using only hi, low, and off) and it builds some good pressure
because it is a squirrel cage design- I have water cooling, so I do not need
the nose cooler for engine cooling, and I currently do not have an outside
dump, and I am getting the air directly from the nose section in front of
the canard, but I like the idea of a supply duct running to the cabin like
Rich has, so I might look to install that as well- if I am still getting
heat creeping into the cabin with the unit off, I will look to provide an
external dump- if you have an air cooled installation you will probably need
to provide the dump to be able to shed heat from the oil even when you are
not cold in the cabin. Wish I had the time to build up a beautiful site
like Rich has...............
Alex
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Jack Prock
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2008 10:24 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Velocity heater
Dave,
Rich Guerra used an oil heater configuration that pulls air from the cabin
and recirculates
it through the nose oil heater. It also allows blowing air through the fan
and oil heater and
sending it overboard in the summer. Which should help when sitting on the
ramp in the summer.
I am not to that stage yet, but I plan on using the same configuration.
It makes sense to me that you would try and warm interior air, and not
try and warm frigid outside air. This setup eliminates the forward NACA
scoop as well.
See the following site, http://www.rguerra.com/velocity/ then go to
"System Works"
and the bottom 15 or so pictures on that page, you will see his setup
and explanation. The fan he uses costs about 25 bucks online.
This is just one more example of pictures and ideas from builders who have
posted online that help out those that follow. Thanks to all that take the
time
and energy to post pictures and explanations. I for one am very grateful to
those
that have the extra energy to build and maintain their sites.
Jack Prock
700 hours in and counting...
----- Original Message -----
From: "David Scharfenberg" <dave at winco.net>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2008 5:44 PM
Subject: REFLECTOR: Velocity heater
> The family and I just flew back from FL to IL last night and about
> froze to death. I am thinking about mounting an oil cooler somewhere,
> and recirculating cabin air through it with a small fan. My thought is
> that recirculated 50 degree air moving slowly through the oil cooler
> will come out at a higher temp than -4 degree air blowing through at
> 170 knots. The heat just isn't adequate for OAT below 30-40,
> especially at night.
>
> Has anyone else who has gone this route mind sharing their experience?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave Scharfenberg
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list