REFLECTOR: Fuel sight guages..why?

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Fri Feb 15 11:31:07 CST 2008


Alex wrote:

 

The fuel flow computer can be pretty accurate for burn rate, but not always,
especially on mine, which has a return line, so there are 2 transducers and
the computer needs to do the math to figure out how much is being burned- so
less accuracy- also any cavitation in the return line will make them even
less accurate- so I won’t really rely on them, 

 

I agree with these comments – when using flow scan type flow measurement.
If the measurement is made by using the fuel injection pulse width and pulse
count on electronic injection system – as mine is; it is very accurate.
After some calibration adjustment the fuel burn is within a couple percent
of measured.

 

Terry wrote:

 

I have the Akinson sight gauges, and for some reason my LH one is blocked.
It worked fine for one day only when I was doing my mo-gas slosh of the
tanks during construction,

 

As I learned the hard way; the white plastic backing in the Atkinson sight
gauge swells in the presence of auto fuel, and will cause the small holes to
the tank to close. I was able to open mine a couple of times using a wire
through the filler cap (my cap is closer to the fuselage than standard); but
it always closed again.  Vance sent me a new gauge which includes metal
grommets to put in the holes.  

 

Rather than remove/replace the gauge, I drilled ¼” holes through the clear
from the cabin side, inserted the grommets and closed the hole with EZpoxy
microglass.  Now it works.

 

Al

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20080215/64663007/attachment.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list